Regular Contributor

Do you like how your hair looks? Are you proud of if.

I must admit I love my own hair. A lot of the credit goes to my stylist; I love the cut she gives me (very precise layers so I need to get it trimmed a lot). Also, for years I blonded my hair to cover up the gray. About a year ago I decided not to fight it any more so I stopped coloring my hair to see what the natural color is.

Did I get a surprise! My hair has come in the most beautiful gray (if I say so myself--I can't take any credit; THAT goes to Mother Nature), that has many silver streaks which will eventually turn it white. (I should add that my mother had a head full of pure white hair when she died at age 83).

For a while a used shampoo and conditioner formulated for gray hair only but it actually made my hair look blonde, which really defeated the purpose. So I'm back to using just conditioner and shampoo for dry hair and it looks great.

Please forgive my bragging but I'm so delighted with my hair I just can't help it :-)

Also, a few years ago I let my hair grow out to about shoulder length. It wasn't a good look; unless I washed it every day (which was quite a chore) it looked limp and stringy. I had to get a shorter cut, which I like now, but I sure do miss my pony tail Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

Interesting questions.  I don't give my hair much thought.  I have a cropped pixie style and it's just hair to me.  I've held the hands of friends who have lost their hair to cruel illnesses.  What I have learned is that at the end of the day, hair doesn't matter.  Whether you have it or do not, the beauty is in the spirit of the individual.

@Huge Hannah Thank you for the posing the questions which inspired me to think on this topic.  And if I may say, I'm delighted you love your grey with streaks of white hair.  It sounds absolutely gorgeous.   

Honored Contributor

I've been blessed with very fine, thin poker straight hair. But I've been blessed with the knowledge of going to talented hair stylists so I always look my best. I would NEVER go gray. Not in the mood to looking 20 years older than I actually am! Just yesterday I had the works done...colored, highlighted and recut into my cute pixie with spiky on top. I am always thrlled when women stop me on the street asking about my hair! Since I know what little hair I have, its a real compliment when I get compliments! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

Interesting questions.  I don't give my hair much thought.  I have a cropped pixie style and it's just hair to me.  I've held the hands of friends who have lost their hair to cruel illnesses.  What I have learned is that at the end of the day, hair doesn't matter.  Whether you have it or do not, the beauty is in the spirit of the individual.

@Huge Hannah Thank you for the posing the questions which inspired me to think on this topic.  And if I may say, I'm delighted you love your grey with streaks of white hair.  It sounds absolutely gorgeous.   

When I was in my thirties I lost all of my hair, including one eyebrow. Eight different doctors could not determine why. Since then my hair has slowly come back but it's been quite a struggling journey to get here at the age of 63 now. My hair is still thin but at least I have it. So for me hair does matter. My experience with living without it proved to me that people treated me differently than when I had my lovely locks of hair on my head. When I was bald I felt terrible and that is something I hope to avoid. People look a bald women much differently than they look at bald men...and they also treat bald women differently, too. Hair does matter for me.

Super Contributor

I have lots of curly, brown, shiny hair. All my life people have complimented me on it. Asked me where I get it done and is it natural. A lot of men have told me that their wives pay a lot of money to get their hair to look like mine. The funny thing is I always wanted straight hair. Now that I'm older I do like my hair more than I used to; it's very bouncy and I have it just above shoulder length.  I know people who have lost their hair only to have it grow back so differently, but so happy that it grew back at allSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I let my hair grow out silver 5 years ago after retiring. I also quit going to the hair dressers ...just let it grow out from super short.  I trim it myself.

Do I like it?  I like that it is easy to care for...no more coloring the roots with dye or cover up powder....I usually just wear it up.  Easy. Her is a picture of it today. 

262F16BA-594C-4711-9D72-55B9B0C884B6.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Your hair is lovely, @SeaMaiden and it looks like you have naturally wavy hair.  Very nice!

Honored Contributor

I have to admit that hair does matter and I'm thankful to have a head full.   My hair is thick and straight and I've always wanted to have curly/wavy hair since the 80's.  I would love to have hair like Sarah Jessica Parker or Nicole Kidman.  Love the loose ringlets.

My hair is a warm medium brown color and I color it myself to hide any gray.  It's styled in a bob to my shoulders with long layers. 

Honored Contributor

I love my hair too.  It's salt and pepper and healthy.  My favorite shampoo is by Acure and it is the Moisture shampoo with argan oil.  However, I do alternate with other shampoos.  I also use Josie Maran's Hair Serum on occasion and it gives a beautiful, natural shine.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I let my hair grow out silver 5 years ago after retiring. I also quit going to the hair dressers ...just let it grow out from super short.  I trim it myself.

Do I like it?  I like that it is easy to care for...no more coloring the roots with dye or cover up powder....I usually just wear it up.  Easy. Her is a picture of it today. 

262F16BA-594C-4711-9D72-55B9B0C884B6.jpeg

Gorgeous!! If I had hair like that I would never color mine. @SeaMaiden your hair is truly what they mean by "Your Crowning Glory."