Valued Contributor

Re: Your first memorable makeup purchase...

@depglass it’s funny you mentioned that. One of my aunts was an Avon lady - I thought she was so glamorous and always had lots of makeup products. When I was a kid I’d go to her bathroom (I always waited until the guest bathroom was in use) and put on makeup, and then take it all off before I left her bathroom. I must have been around 8 or 9.
Respected Contributor

@BARBIE100 wrote:

My mother sent me to the Loretta Young school of modeling in Pasadena Calif. when I was 16. They told me that I should wear Max Factor Pan Cake in Tan No. 1. I remember that it felt like I had a mask on my face. LOL 

@BARBIE100   LOL! I grew up in Arcadia, California, and in the late '60's early 70's it was all Yardley of London for me Pot O Gloss was the first..Twiggy, Jeanne Shrimpton..and tea at Bullock's!!!!

Later I graduated to Revlon, "Sugar and Ice"!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Yardley lavender eyeshadow back in the 60s.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was 11 or so and I bought a bottle of pink frost nail polish and told my younger brother to give it to me for xmas. Can't get in trouble if I didn't buy it myself, right?

I started wearing liquid eyeliner at 15 and CoverGirl foundation (can't forget that Nozema scent) at 16.

But my BIGGEST and fondest memory was when age 17 or 18 in the late 70s DISCO. I spent a lot of money at Macys for a grown up makeup. I bought enough pots of loose sparkly eyeshadow to get the palette. I absolutely LOVE it.

No other makeup since has made such an impact - it was magic

I just google and they are still in business - although online and still sparkly pots of eyeshadow. Of course, now I'm thinking OY what a mess those pots of loose powder makes.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.41.17 AM.png

Honored Contributor

The first make-up I remember is from Avon.  This was back in the day when the "Avon Lady" used to come to the house and she had a big case she carried that had make-up, perfumes and other Avon products.

She had very small lipstick samples in white plastic tubes and my mom let me have a couple super light colors.  I don't remember how old I was but I remember I could only use it in the house because I wasn't allowed to wear make-up until I got to high school.

I remember lots of Bonnie Bell lip products and lip smackers too.  I've always been a lipstick person.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The first make-up I remember is from Avon.  This was back in the day when the "Avon Lady" used to come to the house and she had a big case she carried that had make-up, perfumes and other Avon products.

She had very small lipstick samples in white plastic tubes and my mom let me have a couple super light colors.  I don't remember how old I was but I remember I could only use it in the house because I wasn't allowed to wear make-up until I got to high school.

I remember lots of Bonnie Bell lip products and lip smackers too.  I've always been a lipstick person.    

@Lipstickdiva 

My sister sold Avon in the mid-Sixties so I always had a good supply of the little lipstick samples and Charisma.

Do you remember the giant Lip Smackers you could wear around your neck?

Lip Smackers

Mine was banana marshmallow. Heart

banana

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

In 7th grade through to high school.... Yardley frosted pink lipstick was the craze. It had a particular scent to it .... very frosted and very pink.... LOVE.

Honored Contributor

@just bee, Oh my gosh.  I forgot about those until you reminded me.  LOL

Respected Contributor

First was probably a maybelline single blue eye shadow.  Oval with a sponge applicator and I’m sure too much sparkle.  Oh what we saw in seventeen magazine.  And a LARGE Dr. Pepper lip smacker.

Valued Contributor

I loved the Bonnie bell lip smackers too! I also remember using a gloss that came in a roll on tube, don’t recall the brand. But I had several!