Honored Contributor

Re: Your first memorable makeup purchase...

It had to be Revlon liquid makeup in some form of ivory.  The woman I babysat for wore this and I would sneak a light coat every Friday after I got the kids to bed.  Eventually I figured out I needed a slightly darker shade.  I often wondered if she knew what I was doing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BARBIE100 wrote:

My mother sent me to the Loretta Young school of modeling in Pasadena Calif. when I was 16. They told me that I should wear Max Factor Pan Cake in Tan No. 1. I remember that it felt like I had a mask on my face.LOLL 

BARBIE1000 OH! my goodness!  when I was around 7-9, I used to watch "The Loretta Young Show"religiously!  She was SO beautiful!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don’t really remember what was my memorable makeup purchase but I do remember wearing white lipstick in the 8th grade & using that red Maybelline eyeliner pencil that was in basic black.

I used to buy Clarion cosmetics where you stood at a Clarion computer & based on your hair & eye color they figured out what looked best on you in terms of colors for your eyes & face. I still have a compact blush that still works for me.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

My first lipstick was from the Fuller Brush Man. I was 5 and he gave me a collection of small samples. I treasured those lipsticks and used to use them to play "dress up."

When I actually purchased makeup, I was 14 and bought blush. I hid it from my mom because she didn't want me to wear anything but lipstick.

Honored Contributor

When I was working and single (and under 25 years old) I went to a nicer department store and bought a powder that was mixed for me.  I think the saleslady sold me a couple of other items too--toner and ?     I can't remember the brand but it was upper end (for me anyway) and it seemed like a big deal.   (The store was H.C. Capwell's which has been gone for years.)

Respected Contributor

A Maybelline eyeliner in the red container. I was 16 or 17 at the time and purchased it from Kresege's, a dime store, where I worked part time after school. 

Trusted Contributor

My first memorable purchase was the Clinique 3 step system.  I had somewhat problematic skin and babysat for a woman who had acne scarring who wore a fair share of makeup.  She was beautiful but I always said to myself how much prettier she could be if she had nicer skin.  That really stuck with me and I was determined as a young teen to be proactive with my skincare. 

Respected Contributor

At the  Filene's Lancome counter, it was a Lancome Gift w Purchase.  The gift was a black fabric tote with LANCOME PARIS printed on it in white.   I don't remember the makeup items, maybe mascara and lipstick.

i used the tote as my handbag!  i was 20 and i worked at a newspaper, my first real job.  One of the girls at work asked me if i got my handbag in Paris. 

Honored Contributor

@Fluke67 

I evidently missed the memo that I should remember these! I guess none of my makeup purchases were all that life/changing because I really don’t recall any.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm. 8 hearts for spitting in the red mascara box. So glad I’m not alone. I won’t tell if you don’t!!!