Honored Contributor

Re: Your first memorable makeup purchase...

Probably lipstick because that's what my mom always wore. She never wore any other makeup...just a lippy.

Respected Contributor

I remember wearing Cover Girl liquid foundation that smelled like Noxema and Maybelline mascara in 8th grade. I liked the blue mascara in the white tube and my Band classmate,a boy told me it looked bad. I wore it anyway .

Two memorable purchases were the Yardley white lipstick in the striped tube from the drugstore and those Twiggy displays. The first Department Store buy was Estee Lauder  blush. gel in a  blue tube while in College ,age 19. I saw the ad in a magazine and coveted it for months. I also recall the clerk at the cosmetic counter wasn't  very friendly and told me I wore my blush too close to my nose. 

Honored Contributor

With the start of my 6th grade year in 1973 Mom let me have the Cover Girl compact.  Then by the end of the school year she purchased the liquid foundation to practice with all summer to get ready for Jr. High in the fall.

Image result for 1973 covergirl compact

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

PAN STICK by Max Factor

Maybelline black pencil to line inner rims

Trusted Contributor

Tangee lipstick! In junior high it was the only "makeup" my parents would allow. Well, my mother really. My father didn't even want me to shave my legs!

Tangee turned an awful orangey red on me but I wore it every chance I had. Just having it in my purse was a symbol of adulthood.

BW, the Vermont Country Store still sells Tangee.

Frequent Contributor

I was thirteen years old in the mid seventies. I took some of my babysitting money and walked to the local drug store. I bought a Revlon single eyeshadow in blue. I showed my mother who told me to have one of my sisters show me how to use it! I have four older sisters and desperately wanted to be pretty like they were. My mother never wore any makeup except for weddings and the occasional awards dinner. I was the one who applied her makeup!

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Tangee lipstick from Woolworth's Five & Dime...it looked sort of like a pinkish chapstick color in a true lipstick tube - but it turned a "custom" color that was different on each person's lips.  Last winter I found it was being sold by Vermont Country Store catalog & online so I took a trip down memory lane and ordered a tube for old time sake (like everything else it was MUCH more expensive now).  It is just the same all these years later.  It was fun to find it.

@Havarti You definately struck a note with me!  That's what I bought too, lol!!!

Thank you.  I had totally forgotten!Smiley Happy

Contributor

The year was 1988.  I was 14 and had worked all summer, so mom gave me permission to cut and perm my super-long hair (mall bangs, here I came!) and to purchase my first makeup.  She had already bought me a dark blue eyeliner and instructed me to only line my lower waterline, which was kind of a good look for me, I guess.  Anyway, I purchased the new Cover Girl Shine Free line.  The liquid foundation, powder, and two eyeshadow singles, pink and purple, went into my bag.  I was so proud and happy.  I didn't have any lipstick, so I borrowed my mom's Avon samples.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

tangee lipstick

Trusted Contributor

My mother sent me to the Loretta Young school of modeling in Pasadena Calif. when I was 16. They told me that I should wear Max Factor Pan Cake in Tan No. 1. I remember that it felt like I had a mask on my face. LOL 

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning