Valued Contributor

Re: Your first memorable makeup purchase...

My first was the tube of Lip Dew my mom bought for me from Avon.  Then I remember buying from the drug store I think or maybe mailorder, Mary Quant ? or another British brand lipsticks called Grape yum, yum kiss, and Pineapple yum, yum kiss. OMG I loved those two lipsticks and day dreamed of the Beatles when I put them on, ha, ha. good memories. 

Honored Contributor

Bonnie Bell liquid gel 4FAF0419-B32D-428A-B7F7-8AA37D3784EE.jpegC6E2E77D-24CA-4187-81A5-8FD235658C43.jpegcheek blush.

Slicker whitish beige frosted lipstick in the shade “ Nothing Frosted” the one Jean Shrimpton wore in the ads from Yardley of a London 

White eyeliner, Yardley

mascara

Valued Contributor

@mindyd I still love that jean shrimpton look!
Esteemed Contributor

I bought my first liquid foundation and powder with my babysitting money. It was Angel Face and I bought it from Woolworth's in 1968. The color was too light for me though. I think I also bought my first lipstick from there too. I think it was a frosted pink shade by Hazel Bishop.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to London with my parents when I was 13  and my mom let me buy some Mary Quant Eyeshadow Crayons. Her shop was on Carnaby Street and I felt like the coolest chick in the world. LOL

Respected Contributor

When I was 8 yrs. old. I was in the Nutcracker Ballet so My Mom bought me the works. Lipstick, Mascara, Rouge & some kind of powder. My first purchase was both lipstick & mascara when I was 13 at Walgreens. Both Maybelline.

Honored Contributor

Blue eyeshadow. What was I thinking? Still in high school at the time.

Honored Contributor

Bonne Belle lipstick. 

Super Contributor

Probably something from Yardley. It was so cool back in the day to own something from them.

Respected Contributor

@Fluke67 wrote:

When replying in another thread I got waves of nostalgia over why I thought was my first “important” makeup purchase. It was at a Mac counter, probably in 1990. We didn’t have a Mac counter in Tampa at the time and I was in DC for work, so I made sure I stopped by a mall in VA to buy makeup. Mac Sierra blush, spirit lipstick, and four eyeshadows - an ivory color, coquette, quarry and a dark brown to use as liner (forgot the name), studio fix powder foundation, and spice lip liner. I thought I was so fancy!

i guess I’ve been a makeup junkie for a long time!

Quarry was one of my first department store makeup purchases, too. Quarry, two other shades I don't remember the names of, and Cosmo lipstick.