Honored Contributor

Re: Your first memorable makeup purchase...

Some brand of eye shadow in a tube.  It was frosted.  And mocha lip stick.  1970's and a senior in high school.  Memorable for me was the fact that when I got caught wearing it, my mother called me a s-l-u-t.

Valued Contributor

@tansy wrote:

1960s — Yardley cosmetics.  I bought a pot of Sailor Blue eyeshadow that was featured on Seventeen magazine🙂. The packaging was very mod😜

I also bought a blue eyeshadow from Yardley, probably in the early 70s.  I can't recall the name of the color but it was in very mod packaging!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't remember the very first but I remember getting Yardley of London products back in the late 1960s.  I also remember getting Clinque with gift (for an $8.00 purchase) from Bamberger's (before it was bought out by Macy's) sometime in the early 1970s.

Honored Contributor

It was in the 60's.  I remember two....a blue eyeshadow and covergirl foundation.

Valued Contributor

Yardley of London Pot o Gloss lipgloss in a little container.  It smelled sooooo good. And Maybelline cake eyeliner that had ridges in it. You wet a brush, mushed it around the eyeliner cake and then lined your eyes. Cover Girl liquid foundation...it had a "clean" smell.

Honored Contributor

I guess it was a Tangee "natural" lipstick.    It turned flaming orange on me.  (not a good look!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I definitely remember taking the bus downtown and cruising the Woolworth's makeup aisle.  A treasure trove!!   When the "Blush-On" (Revlon?) powder blushes first came out, a girlfriend and I couldn't wait to get one.  I couldn't decide which color, the pink or the peach, so I bought both.  We were applying them on the way home, giggling all the way.  We looked like circus clowns every day until we finally got the hang of it.  

Remember vividly Cutex white and flourescent pink lipstick, Maybelline mascara in the little red box, and blue mascara.  We wanted to be Twiggy.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

My Mom had bad acne as a teenager and was left w/ scars and pitted skin. I was always fearful of the same. At 12, I took my birthday money and purchased the Clinique 3 step skincare set. Of course, it was GWP time, so I received a few color cosmetics in my first flowered makeup bag. *Then I had to wait until Hanukkah to get money to purchase brushes for the shadow and blush. 😜

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Maybelline mascara. The one in the red container, with a brush, you had to wet the brush. Yes, I’m very old. 😆 

@QVCkitty1   Shame on me for not knowing better, but only 12 or 13. My friends and I used to spit in that red box to wet the mascara. It’s a miracle I still have eyeballs!!

Honored Contributor

I am such a makeup lover and have worn makeup since starting highschool and nothing comes to mind.  It just seems that there was always makeup.  You'd think I would remember such an important event.