Respected Contributor

I would like to know what you feel has been the best anti aging protocol or tips for you. Is that obnoxious? I'm feeling old at 49.  Share please. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

stay out of the sun! There is a reason why women 100 years ago had beautiful skin. My skin looks much younger than my counterparts because I have stayed covered in the sun. Always. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, stay out of the sun but let's face it, that's really not realistic for most people and the amt of spf you'd have to use for it to really be helpful is again, not realistic.  As far as women and sun 100 years ago, I'd have to say they were in the sun a lot more than today.  Washing clothes, tending to gardens and farm animals and other normal daily activities that modern day appliances and products make more convenient and do indoors.

Stay hydrated and moisturized (not the same thing).  Don't smoke!  

Honored Contributor

I wish I knew what to tell you!  The things I say will be no brainers.  I am now 68 and will say in honestly that I was told and feel that I never really looked my age until the last couple years.  I have not been well and this takes a toll.

Try to do everything you can to protect your health because it does not matter what cosmetically you use or do, if you do not have this, you have nothing.

Take a bit of quiet time each day for yourself, whether it's to meditate, do yoga, journal, pray, or whatever calms your soul.

Exercise in moderation in whatever manner you can --- but try to stick to it.

Moisturize the face and body -- doesn't have to be anything expensive or fancy.  The key is just to do it faithfully.

Enjoy each and every minute of your life.  Express love to the people who matter and sometimes to the people who don't!  Make yourself happy and don't wait for anyone else to make you happy.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Eat the good stuff, don't eat the bad stuff.  Exercise.  Drink lots of water.  Moisturize your skin, face and body.  Don't smoke.  

Wear a smile.

Beauty is an attitude.  Have a good one.

Everyone's skin is different.  Find products your skin likes and be consistent.  If your 'regimen' is too complicated, you won't stick with it.  Keep it simple and do it every day.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

The most anti-aging thing I do for my skin is use sunscreen. Retin-A is a long-term and very effective anti-aging drug which I have used for almost a decade. It takes care of most all signs of aging (wrinkles, dark spots, large pores, loss of firmness). I'm 65 and I wish I would have started using RA sooner. And finally, I always do some kind of exfoliation either a physical or chemical one....just get the dead skin off.

Two other things I do is use home lasers and microneedles. I also go to my derm about every couple of years and have my skin treated with a laser to remove red dots on my face. Those are caused from a medical condition I have. The laser treatments make my skin smooth and clear.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your best regimen.

[ Edited ]

Around that age, I was experiencing some skin changes, so that's when I changed up my routine. (Actually, thanks to this Board, and then I researched on my own, beginning with "Skin 101" and how skin functions.)

As skin ages, our natural sloughing off slows down. I believe in nudging it along. Nudging. If I had had other problems, such as acne, I would have been more aggressive.

My skin responded well to low percentages of AHAs. Then I looked into topical vitamin C, and finally, low percentages of retinol.

And I contend that you can use practically anything to moisturize your skin! (I never had a problem there.) So, it's all a matter of preference. And/or environment.

Everyone's skin is different, and so are everyone's other health habits. What one uses topically may not be suitable or as effective for someone else.

My earlier preventions and changes have awarded me a beautiful complexion now.

My darling mother had a beautiful complexion, too, though she was more lined than wrinkled as she got older. I don't think she did anything special in the a.m., but at night she slathered on that Ponds for cleansing. She never used sunscreen. But she did take skin supplements. (lecithin, vitamin e....)

Honored Contributor

Anti-aging regimen:

• Retin A (generic: tretinoin)
  • Vitamin C serum
  • Sunscreen

Of course, there are other products I use, but these 3 are the most prominent. 

Respected Contributor

Stay out of the sun. But wear sun screen if you have to be in it. I even wear a big straw hat when I'm doing yard work with a long sleeve shirt on & long workout pants. Also I use Retin A at night. I use my Clarisonic a few times a week.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I would like to know what you feel has been the best anti aging protocol or tips for you. Is that obnoxious? I'm feeling old at 49.  Share please. Thank you.

@Grouchomarx  At age 65 this month, I have to say that many years( 30)  of a good diet and moderate exercise is probably my best anti aging protocol. 

I also follow the Life Extension Foundation beliefs....they are  a company that sells supplements and vitamins and  Its claimed goals are to extend the healthy human lifespan by discovering methods to control aging and eradicate disease. They do a lot of studies and research on health and aging.