Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Gray Hair: When did you draw the line & stop?

@ID2going gray does not automatically age a person 20 years, I see many woman who are gray that  do not look aged because of it. Everything doesn't fit for everyone, isn't that what makes us individuals? My mother colored her hair until she got sick, a few months later she died at the age of 78, when her gray was visible she looked no older to me than when she colored. Same with my aunt who colored her hair red until she got sick and no longer colored, she didn't look 20 years older either. 

Regular Contributor

I am secure with myself and have a great self esteem.  I just like to color my hair because it is fun trying something new and different every now and then.  I have plenty of gray hair and will let it grow naturally when I get sick of coloring it. 

I really wish women would quit implying that other women have personal issues as to why they wear makeup or color their hair.  Or even if they have plastic surgery. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina, who asked: "To those women who choose to "age gracefully" (i.e., letting themselves go gray) .... I'd be curious to know if you also don't wear make-up to enhance your looks or do other things to enhance your looks -- manicures, new clothes, jewelry....  It's all done for the same reason, isn't it?" 

Even tho I "let it go" and never colored my hair, my white-ish hair is shiny, healthy, and full of body, and I keep it in a stylish cut.  Yes, I wear makeup to enhance my looks - even tho I've had to tweak my makeup colors to compliment my hair color and complexion.  Yes, I do manicures, dress smartly, and wear jewelry.  I'm not dead - I just have white hair.  I'm a slender, energetic, shapely 67-year-old, thanks to healthy diet and lifestyle.  My white hair does not make me old (heck, my age makes me old).  

"I think it's great for those women who choose to go gray and it's great for women who choose to color their hair. No need for either side to be defensive about it. :-)"  I agree with your statement wholeheartedly!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Regular Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@espree wrote:

I hope this is not a repeat question as I do not have the time to read all of the posts. I am currently 63. The gray in my hair just started coming in a year ago. Honestly!  I told myself nope, don't want to color; too costly, too time-consuming. BUT my position is being eliminated after 26 years and I will have to look for a another full time job. Does it matter to an employer to look "youthful"? I don't want to hijact this thread but I really don't know what to do and would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks!

It may depend on the job , but when you hand them a resume - they know your age.And not too many want to hire a person on the verge of retiring. Have you considered early retirement?

Sadly, I can't. i truly wish that was a viable option.

Honored Contributor

@espree wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@espree wrote:

I hope this is not a repeat question as I do not have the time to read all of the posts. I am currently 63. The gray in my hair just started coming in a year ago. Honestly!  I told myself nope, don't want to color; too costly, too time-consuming. BUT my position is being eliminated after 26 years and I will have to look for a another full time job. Does it matter to an employer to look "youthful"? I don't want to hijact this thread but I really don't know what to do and would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks!

It may depend on the job , but when you hand them a resume - they know your age.And not too many want to hire a person on the verge of retiring. Have you considered early retirement?

Sadly, I can't. i truly wish that was a viable option.

@espree,If you can color your hair and you feel comfortable doing it, it could put you in a better position to be hired.  There's really no well to tell.  One way to deal with having color fewer times is to do low lights if you have dark hair and highlights if your hair is light.  That way you may be able to go 3 1/2-4 months.  The worst place to show is the crown of your head which you can't easily see.

Esteemed Contributor

In  my case after years and years of color changes just for fun, I found out my hair turned silver... became color resistant.  I just finally gave up the hassle and am very pleased with my natural haircolor.  Heredity I guess, I can take no credit but I get compliments from strangers.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen my hair color in 20 years, never will as long as I draw breath. 

Respected Contributor

OP: it's over when you say it is!

My mother and grandmother colored their hair until well in their 70s. By that time, their hair was all gray. Also, it was a matter of economy.

When grays appear and money gets tight, I put up with it. When I have more money, I do it. It's because my hair is blonde naturally and the gray hasn't really started to come in until the past two years.  I am just an awkward stage. It's not half the head or anything like that.

Don't let anyone try to define your needs. When you're ready to know longer do it, you'll know. You can always change your mind.