Regular Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Self Tanner.......

On 4/11/2014 brewhaha said:

The sun

Nothing would please me more then to get some sun. But, as I stated in reply #4 this is NOT an option for me due to Melanoma and Basil Cell Carcinoma.

Super Contributor

I love Faux Tan too. It's the only one I use, including on my face. I also use disposable gloves - it's just easier and faster than messing with the brush.
Trusted Contributor

Faux tanners do not look flattering on my skin. Have yet to find any brand that doesn't turn me orange, whether a little or a lot. I used the Tan Towels and they were no different.

There was a new brand last year that really got raves due to it not turning anyone's skin orange and I have thought about trying that one out. I'll have to look it up to find the brand name so I can try it and I'll post back with it too.

One other that gets great comments about no orange effect is Xen Tan which I also have not tried but read really great things about. I always look for reviews that comment about the orange cast when they finally try a ST that doesn't do it.

Contributor

I like bareMinerals beautifully bronzed deluxe faux tan, I really like the brush, make easy to apply.

I also like tarte maracuja self-tanner but the application mitts makes it difficult to apply.

With both my skin looks as if yesterday I took a pleasurable vacations.

Trusted Contributor

The brand that got great raves last year (for not turning skin orange and other positives) is Vita Liberata. Two others to check out are Sevin Nyne and the Xen tan I mentioned above. These are some of the latest technologies in self tanners so worth researching, imo.

Sephora has tons and tons of ST online so you could really get some good info there plus they usually have pretty responsive reviewers.

I am a fair to medium (really a true fair when young) of Irish heritage which means a lot of redness to my skin naturally. Tons of freckles too. Unfortunately the DHA used in most ST leaves an orange tinge on my skin which looks dreadful, imo. I believe that the Vita Liberata brand, released last year, came out of Ireland which, along with tons of reviews and the claims by the brand itself, make me hopeful that I'll be able to use this and not see that horrid orange tinge on my skin.

Good luck in finding a great choice for your skin~

Honored Contributor

I use Tan Towels because of the way they apply the product. They're slightly flocked and about as thick as your average paper towel, not thin and papery like a wet wipe.

You just wipe the towel over your skin in small circles like polishing a car, going over the same places several times. That way you get everywhere and no streaks.

And you can do your hands easily. I just use the towel all over without gloves, wash my hands carefully, and then wipe the backs of my hands and wrists with the towel to finish.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Another good place to check ST is Nordstrom's which doesn't charge any shipping - return shipping is free too if you don't have a Nordstrom's nearby. I know they did carry Xen Tan (pronounced Zen tan) if Sephora doesn't.

Trusted Contributor

When I was over at Sephora looking for the Vita Liberata brand, I noticed that there are a lot of tanning towels available now in many brands. I'll admit the towels are really easy to use but unfortunately for me, all the ease in the world won't help if the color turns orange on my skin.

Honored Contributor

Wackers, have you tried an airbrush tan done by a professional? That might work for you because they can calibrate the color just for you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

LOVE Tan Towels. Very easy to use for body and face. Nice color. Dries super quick, do not have to wait to dress. The only thing I use. Did not like Faux Tan at all. Yuk!