Respected Contributor

Your Bre@st Reduction (Surgical) Experience

Would appreciate any advice ... do's and don'ts, your  experience, stories, etc. ....

The pre-op nurse told me my n*pples could "die" ... uhhh, okay.

I suppose at my age, it doesn't matter.  LOL!

My main concern was my dog jumping up on my chest.  So, he will be boarded.  But I'm not sure for how many weeks.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Occasional Contributor

Re: Your Bre@st Reduction (Surgical) Experience

Hi, this is my first time blogging. lol  but i had a breast reduction last year and I love it. Every thing went very well. I have a little feeling in my nibbles. It really improved my overall health( shoulder and neck pain) and of couse my self esteem. If you carry any weight in your midde section i would advise you to rethink how small you want to go. I went down to a C and it made my stomach look bigger. My surgeon didnt tell me that. My scarring wasnt bad either. Good Luck to you.

Respected Contributor

@ladyk48 wrote:

If you carry any weight in your midde section i would advise you to rethink how small you want to go. I went down to a C and it made my stomach look bigger. My surgeon didnt tell me that. My scarring wasnt bad either. Good Luck to you.

Yes, I pretty much figured that out looking at other women.  I know if I don't lose weight, I'm going to have to get my stomach and waist done because they'll be too big for my upper body.  In fact, I've already adjusted my food intake and hope I can lose weight around the middle.

THANKS for your feedback.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

My mom was a DDDD and she developed skin cancer on her shoulders from her bra straps so she had a reduction. I am a C so we begged the surgeon for me to get her access as a transplant. The surgeon got a good hearty laugh from that but said no. Anyway they were able to use grafts from excess skin on her breasts to graft where they removed the cancers and she looked so much nicer afterward. She said it really reduced her back pain. She had to wear strapless bras for about 6 months because of the skin grafts but other wise it was simple and well worthwhile to her.

Honored Contributor

I have not had it yet. However, I've been to a PS, had the photos and measurements taken, discussed all the pros and cons and have contacted the insurance company regarding coverage (it is).

My take on it all:

IF you have a belly/carry your weight in your stomach, consider very carefully how your body shape is going to change and look. My surgeon offers the ability to download your photo and then play with it so you can see the results post-surgery; it was an eye opener (good and bad). I would look constantly pregnant if I have it done now. I would have to buy clothing to fit around my stomach and not my breasts (due to them now being smaller than my midsection); this means maternity clothing for the most part. I'm not kidding... it was something that never occurred to me. I want to add that I spoke other patients that he has worked on and he tells every woman who is Apple shaped to seriously think about losing weight before having it done. 

The amount of tissue being removed would also cause me to need a lift (covered in breast reduction but not for any other reason) as well as the chance I would need small implants to round out the top of my breast due to lack of fullness. 

Third, I would most likely lose all sensation in my *******le area: considering I have almost none now in my breasts (due do all the excess skin and sagging) that doesn't matter to me.

I have not done it for 2 reasons:

The fact that I would look 8 months pregnant or so on a constant basis (meaning clothes shopping would be a HUGE nightmare) and the fact that I have to pay up front for the entire procedure and then file on my own to be reimbursed by BCBS (his office will file for me). No PS in my area that I've spoken to (and I interviewed 25) deviates from this policy. I can't afford that much up front so....

There it is.  If you do it, good for you! It has the largest percentage of happy "customers" of all procedures out there done by PS. : )

Respected Contributor

If you decide to go ahead with it, make sure it's with a reputable surgeon and look at pictures of his/her work, if possible.  I had it done after I had my fourth (and last) child and my surgeon placed my nipples too high on my breasts, requiring me to have multiple "revisions" until he got it right.  Not fun.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I have not had it yet. However, I've been to a PS, had the photos and measurements taken, discussed all the pros and cons and have contacted the insurance company regarding coverage (it is).

My take on it all:

IF you have a belly/carry your weight in your stomach, consider very carefully how your body shape is going to change and look. My surgeon offers the ability to download your photo and then play with it so you can see the results post-surgery; it was an eye opener (good and bad). I would look constantly pregnant if I have it done now. I would have to buy clothing to fit around my stomach and not my breasts (due to them now being smaller than my midsection); this means maternity clothing for the most part. I'm not kidding... it was something that never occurred to me. I want to add that I spoke other patients that he has worked on and he tells every woman who is Apple shaped to seriously think about losing weight before having it done. 

The amount of tissue being removed would also cause me to need a lift (covered in breast reduction but not for any other reason) as well as the chance I would need small implants to round out the top of my breast due to lack of fullness. 

Third, I would most likely lose all sensation in my *******le area: considering I have almost none now in my breasts (due do all the excess skin and sagging) that doesn't matter to me.

I have not done it for 2 reasons:

The fact that I would look 8 months pregnant or so on a constant basis (meaning clothes shopping would be a HUGE nightmare) and the fact that I have to pay up front for the entire procedure and then file on my own to be reimbursed by BCBS (his office will file for me). No PS in my area that I've spoken to (and I interviewed 25) deviates from this policy. I can't afford that much up front so....

There it is.  If you do it, good for you! It has the largest percentage of happy "customers" of all procedures out there done by PS. : )

@SahmIam  Oh my.  Your post has me concerned about your health.  I'm sure you already are aware that having a large waist circumferance is a high contributor to  heart problems.  For the sake of your health, I hope you can find a way to change your eating habits and add some exercise so you can reduce that risk.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  Lol.

I used to weigh over 400 pounds. I've lost 250 pounds plus. Excess skin is not going away especially when genetically you're an apple shape as well as being short waisted.

Trust me, those who carry their weight in the middle section (and are female) know the issues. Sometimes, however, we're just really stuck looking the way we do.

Thanks for the concern, however.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@2blonde  Lol.

I used to weigh over 400 pounds. I've lost 250 pounds plus. Excess skin is not going away especially when genetically you're an apple shape as well as being short waisted.

Trust me, those who carry their weight in the middle section (and are female) know the issues. Sometimes, however, we're just really stuck looking the way we do.

Thanks for the concern, however.

@SahmIam  Wow!  Congratulations on losing so much weight.  I'm sorry if I sounded condescending.......I really didn't mean it that way.  I'm not overweight, but any pound I gain goes straight to my middle (I'm an apple too).  I stay maybe too thin just to keep my waist as small as possible.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Would appreciate any advice ... do's and don'ts, your  experience, stories, etc. ....

The pre-op nurse told me my n*pples could "die" ... uhhh, okay.

I suppose at my age, it doesn't matter.  LOL!

My main concern was my dog jumping up on my chest.  So, he will be boarded.  But I'm not sure for how many weeks.

Thanks.

I will be having a similar surgery (mine is called a corrective mastectomy) to bring the girls to symetry. I had a partial mastectomy on the left one last year due to breast cancer and the correction will be on my right one.

I had my ni%%le removed on the b/c breast and lost the color on that-it is just now starting to look normal.

I just want some closure on this whole health concern and to get back to normal.

Be sure you have a PS that agrees aethetically w/your concerns and answers questions. Don't let the doggie jump! Have some support from friends/family/church/neighbors, esp. for driving.Best of luck!