Super Contributor

Re: Yea!!! My nail salon opened today🙂🙂🙂

I think it's foolish to go to a nail salon.  Way too risky.  The first woman to die in CA was infrected in a nail salon.  It will be a long time before I get a haircut.  I have always done my own nails since I find nail salons too risky.  People have been infected with Hepatitis and various staff infectins in those salons.  With Corona cases still increasing that's a dangerous visit.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Salons opened too. My Stylist is semi-retired and has a shop at her house. She only does her long time customers. We both wore masks and she had sanitzed everything.

It felt good to get a color and cut since I hadn't been there since Jan ad I felt safe.

Honored Contributor

I've been going to the same manicurist for over 26 years.  She started just out of high school and over the years has moved to a couple of different salons.

She's had her own place for 17 years and I've had a standing appointment with her just as long...I go every two weeks.  Things have been closed since mid March and will not open until possibly sometime in June.  I miss getting my nails done and I miss seeing her other regulars...I've become friendly with a few.

She has a facebook page for her salon and is itching to reopen.  She and one of her employees (it's a small place with only 3 manicurists all together). have taken a class & have become "certified" to disinfect the salon.

After all that as much as I want to get mine done and return I plan on waiting....not sure how long yet.  Reopening  is not an all clear for safety.  It's so that there is not total economic devastation in the community. 

Going to get your hair or nails done is still going to be very risky even with the operators wearing masks if they should happen to be an asymptomatic carrier.

Respected Contributor

@TW wrote:

I think it's foolish to go to a nail salon.  Way too risky.  The first woman to die in CA was infrected in a nail salon.  It will be a long time before I get a haircut.  I have always done my own nails since I find nail salons too risky.  People have been infected with Hepatitis and various staff infectins in those salons.  With Corona cases still increasing that's a dangerous visit.

Salons are risky but there are people who cannot care for their own nails. A service needs to be in place for people who cannot care for their own because neglecting nails is also risk for bacteria, fungus, and ingrown nails. 

This is not about wearing a cute polish but a matter of hygiene.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Long line outside with all of just waiting to get appointment!!!

(Most of us called but just got busy signal)

They had 1 receptionist scheduling appointments.  No glass partitions and nothing looked different as of today.  Appointments available tomorrow.

The guidelines: mask, cash, and only 6 people in pedicure area at a time.  They have 12 chairs.  They will not offer slippers (kind they put on while your toes dry), you will be asked to purchase tools box (not sure what this is).

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  I'm allowing my nails a break no dip or polish just natural.

tools 

i take my own have for ages, 

Respected Contributor

I do not mean to be rude, I just do not understand. You would risk getting this horrible virus for a manicure? I have 3 family members who have died from this virus. I was speaking with someone whose friend’s daughter was in the hospital for 6 weeks. She was so sick she couldn’t speak. Luckily she is very slowly recovering, but who knows how it will affect her in the future. 

Trusted Contributor

So you couldn't get through on the phone so a bunch of you decided to just stand inline outside the salon, not only putting you at risk but everyone else you come in contact with.

I guess I just don't get it.  I have had my nails done exactly twice in my life, just not that big of a deal for me.

My hair is shaggy and I need a cut but it will be a LONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG time before I go in for a cut.  I am ok with the shaggy look for awhile.  I let my the gray in my  hair grow out a couple of years ago because I grew tired of paying ridiculous prices for someone to color my hair and in all fairness I was too lazy to do it myself.  Letting the gray come in was liberating to me.

Again these are just my opinions but I am old enough and have underlying health issues and both of those things combined lead me to believe there is not a manicure or a haircut that is worth getting sick over or getting someone else sick over.

I hope you don't get sick or worse yet infect someone else.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinon, it is way too soon. Lets get back into seeing our docs and dentists and going for health screenings before they open nail salons and hair salons. 

Trusted Contributor

One can't be too safe.  I understand that we want to feel normal again and live our lives the way we did before all this started.  Just be careful and take every precaution possible.  Don't forget or get careless with disinfectants, hygiene, etc.  Wear the mask. Keep a safe distance from others.  Consider where else the virus could lurk (on clothing?  handbags?)  It's invisible and easy to forget it's out there and highly contagious.   AND please, think of others.  No one wants to be responsible for making someone else sick. 

Respected Contributor

Those things which are considered nonessential in PA won't be opened for quite some time. We are going in phases: red, yellow, green. My county will be yellow on Friday with many restrictions. Salons are in the green phase and that's many many weeks down the road. My nails are doing quite well with the care that I am giving them but I am dying to get my hair cut and colored. I know that I will just have to wait. Stay safe.