Honored Contributor

I don't recall what the original smelled like even tho I owned it.  Everyone says this isn't as good.  I have it on now.  Jury is still out.  Once again (like the Kayali Eden fragrance) it's smelling NOT unique.  Somewhat generic.  Do you have to spend $200 or more these days to get a head-turner fragrance?

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I don't recall what the original smelled like even tho I owned it.  Everyone says this isn't as good.  I have it on now.  Jury is still out.  Once again (like the Kayali Eden fragrance) it's smelling NOT unique.  Somewhat generic.  Do you have to spend $200 or more these days to get a head-turner fragrance?

@monicakm 

Surely you jest .... it's not about the price, it's how the scent smells on you after dry down and your skin chemistry has affected the scent.

I loved the original Opium, back in the day.   Not as crazy about the black version.  Then I discovered that the original Opium formula was  changed ... and not for the better.  (What were they thinking?)

I've always had difficulty with fragrances ... it smells great in the bottle, but after an hour or two on me, it wasn't great.   So, the fragrance counter testers were the only way to go.

Bottom line ... the absolute all time best fragrance on me, and has always been, Shalimar by Guerlain.   Nothing better, and yes, people stop me and ask what it is.   

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@monicakm 

Surely you jest .... it's not about the price, it's how the scent smells on you after dry down and your skin chemistry has affected the scent.

I loved the original Opium, back in the day.   Not as crazy about the black version.  Then I discovered that the original Opium formula was  changed ... and not for the better.  (What were they thinking?)

I've always had difficulty with fragrances ... it smells great in the bottle, but after an hour or two on me, it wasn't great.   So, the fragrance counter testers were the only way to go.

Bottom line ... the absolute all time best fragrance on me, and has always been, Shalimar by Guerlain.   Nothing better, and yes, people stop me and ask what it is.   

I have looked at the Shalimar so many times. I may have to go for it. I have heard such great things about it.

Esteemed Contributor

When I buy fragrance I purchase from Fragrance.net.  I buy eau de toilette and always buy the tester version in 3.4 oz size.  It smells the same as regular bottle but is significantly less expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

No, I'm not jesting.  Surely you realize there is a correlation between the price of premium fragrances and their premium ingredients vs those that are made from inferior, cheap ingredients.  I don't think Guerlain uses the same ingredients that Coty does or the same quality ingredients.

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris 

Have you ever gone to get a tester spray on you to see how it works on your skin?    Try that first.    

Honored Contributor

Re: YSL's Black Opium

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

No, I'm not jesting.  Surely you realize there is a correlation between the price of premium fragrances and their premium ingredients vs those that are made from inferior, cheap ingredients.  I don't think Guerlain uses the same ingredients that Coty does or the same quality ingredients.

@monicakm 

I agree that higher end fragrances usually use premium ingredients, but that doesn't mean that every price point below that has "inferior cheap ingredients".  

Nevertheless, buying an expensive fragrance still doesn't guarantee a good match.   Although it smelled great in the bottle, it just might not complement your unique skin chemstry ... and be wasted money. 

Spending more money doesn't automatically insure you'll have a "hit" on your hands.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

When I buy fragrance I purchase from Fragrance.net.  I buy eau de toilette and always buy the tester version in 3.4 oz size.  It smells the same as regular bottle but is significantly less expensive.

@patbz 

I've never purchased from them.   I try to time re-purchasing fragrance with my birthday and Christmas dates ....  it's a "sure thing" gift purchase for whomever is buying me a gift.   Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I gave up spending outrageous prices for fragrance.  If you have a store such as TJMaxx or Marshalls or Ross near you, you can get some of the very good fragrances for a lot less.  Also, there are some mail order places which are much less - such as fragrancedot. net.  I have ordered many times and they are reputable.  Also, they often just have little samples if you just want to try something you're not sure of.  In answer to your question - no, you don't have to spend $200 or more to get a great fragrance.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: YSL's Black Opium

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I gave up spending outrageous prices for fragrance.  If you have a store such as TJMaxx or Marshalls or Ross near you, you can get some of the very good fragrances for a lot less.  Also, there are some mail order places which are much less - such as fragrancedot. net.  I have ordered many times and they are reputable.  Also, they often just have little samples if you just want to try something you're not sure of.  In answer to your question - no, you don't have to spend $200 or more to get a great fragrance.  

@AngelPuppy1 

ITA ....   a few years ago I bought a very nice set of my sister's favorite fragrance at Marshalls for 37% of full price retail.   

I'm not sure which of us was happier about the purchase.  lol