Honored Contributor

YOUTUBE TUTORIALS FULL DISCLOSURE

I’ve noticed that many of the artists I follow have stated they’re now required to disclose if the products they’re reviewing were purchased or gifted.

It makes quite a difference if the artist wants to continue to receive other promotional makeup/skincare. The vendors watch and see the number of followers on YouTube and Instagram. If they can place product w/ popular ones, increase in sales....but the presenter is under pressure to give positive reviews to be considered for further gifting. The result were some skewed opinions of makeup/skincare. 

Now, most have disclaimers that they have purchased the reviewed or demonstrated products themselves or state they were “sent” a pro kit to review/try. 

Respected Contributor

Re: YOUTUBE TUTORIALS FULL DISCLOSURE

They are paid spokesmen on a commercial 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

They are paid spokesmen on a commercial 

@scatcat   Not all. Some artists purchasing the products give some pointers on makeup application. Others are QVC host clones.

Respected Contributor

thanks @Shanus .   the handful of beauty channels i watch are always upfront about product being gifted to them.  and to tell the truth, even when it is sent to them, they still seem to be fair in their representations and recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

I think it is a good idea to state how the product was received.  The buyer then is aware that the information could be skewed, but still allowed to see it demonstrated.  The decision to buy will be based on facts as to how the product was obtained, and the knowledge that the information given might not be accurate..