Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I just saw this post, the initial one, and don't have time to read the 10 pages of comments here, so I don't know if what I am writing has been brought out before.

I don't know what is the supplement being discussed, but scientific studies have found that ingestion of hyaluronic acid supplements "inhibits skin wrinkles and improves skin condition."  This is the conclusion of a study published in 2018: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5522662/.  This study has before and after pictures in addition to the scientific data.  There are also additional published studies on this subject with similar results.

I can't comment on specific supplements, I am no scientist, and I no longer have the research that I have done in the past readily available.

Personally, I did decide to start taking on a regular basis the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C supplement beginning in May 2022, and since that date, my skin has shown noticeable improvement.  I guess that may be mostly attributable to the collagen, but at the time I chose this specific product, I did research on HA because the Vital Proteins with HA costs more, so I wanted to know if that supllementation was worth the expense.  I found many studies that concluded that HA is beneficial to skin.

Healthline and WebMD also have articles on the benefits of HA supplementation.

Sorry if this is duplicative of other comments.

@NYCLatinaMe Is the Vital Proteins Collagen w/HA tasteless?  I was wondering about sprinkling it on food.  I think Costco may sell that brand.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Yes, you're so right. I've changed to less expensive products and I see no difference to the more expensive skincare. It's all in the ingredients....not the packaging, hype and advertizing. 

If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner   Yes, you're so right. I've changed to less expensive products and I see no difference to the more expensive skincare. It's all in the ingredients....not the packaging, hype and advertizing. 

If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is!

@Shanus And you were a great help to me a year or more ago in discovering this.  You and others here helped me find things that helped my skin, not names that didn't.

I wound up with Paula's Choice and now am finding other things like Neutrogena that work with and in place of those.  I use a few core products now that work. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   So happy I could help. Have a wonderful weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe Is the Vital Proteins Collagen w/HA tasteless?  I was wondering about sprinkling it on food.  I think Costco may sell that brand.  Thanks.

@Icegoddess Apologies for not responding earlier.  I have been off the boards.

I don't think one can just sprinkle Vital Proteins on food.The directions state "Combine 1-2 scoops with 8 fl oz of liquid, mix thoroughly."  They claim it can be mixed in a cold liquid but I found that impossible.  Lumps remain no matter how much I stir and shake.  Apparently it can be mixed cold in a high powered vitamix, which I do not have.  Smoothies are supposed to be a good choice, but I don't have those.  I drink it with hot coffee in the "unflavored" but I think it does change the flavor a little bit, but not that much.  I used to add 2 Splenda to my 16 oz. cup of coffee, and I decided I needed to add 3 after I started with Vital Proteins.  Mix fast, because as the coffee cools, it becomes harder to mix.  The powder can be added to soups or meals with liquid, but I think in the proportion in the directions.  I don't think the change in taste is that perceptible.  I would think you wouldn't notice it in food.  I find it easiest to just take it with my coffee, because it is the something I have every day, and I don't really have meals with the requisite amount of liquid.

There are other proteins out there.   Vital Proteins is expensive and I think I am going to shop around for other collagen powders.  I think it really helps my skin.   Apparently, the Amino Acid profile is key.  

2 scoops have 20 grams of hydrolyzed collagen from cow hides. 

This the Vital Proteins Amino Acid Profile for the 2 scoop serving

Vital Proteins Amino Acid Profile.jpg

When I started taking it, I compared to Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth, and found the amino acid profiles to be equivalent.  The Bone Broth may be easier to take because you can just add a little bit to your food, but I don't like the taste.  And Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth was much more expensive on a per serving basis when I checked.

Vital Proteins also has a bone broth that I tried and didn't like, a chocolate drink, gummies, maybe other delivery methods.

The Vital Proteins powder that I buy also include 80 grams of hyaluronic acid and 90 grams of Vitamin C which is 100% of the recommended DV.  These are good things, I believe.

Hope this information is still helpful!