Esteemed Contributor

Wow wow wow: YSL Black Opium Fragrance

I was racing thru Macy's getting some Clinique toner and a Quickliner in Roast Coffee, very exciting I know.  My husband was enjoying a Starbucks right outside.  They had the new (to me) YSL Black Opium there on display and I spritzed a little on my hand.  WOW !!!  NICE !!!

Now, my husband HATES just about everything perfume wise and he even said "that's not bad".  High praise indeed.  My retirement community has rules about wearing perfume to events and you aren't able to wear it to Kaiser or to the dentist (there are signs posted in No. Calif), and my best friend gets migraines from some perfume and I respect that; but it is sure a fun "me" fragrance for lounging around my own personal space.   

I usually stick to Philsophy Fresh Cream Spritz (I just ordered the new one with Mint added) and I tried the new WEN perfume with mango. Fruity frags seem less likely to offend in social settings. I came from the days when a fragrance was the finishing touch. Hard to change your ways. 

However, I grew up in the seventies and was around for the first Opium launch.  I always "cut" any perfume with unscented body cream to reduce the waft and this one stays close.  Have a sniff sometime when you see it.   I think it is very special and very grown up. Love the bottle too.  Fragrancenet always has good prices and authentic merchandise. 

Black Opium is the new highly addictive feminine fragrance from Yves Saint Laurent. The opening notes of adrenaline-rich coffee and the sweet sensuality of vanilla recline into the softness of white flowers for a modern and vibrant interpretation. 

Notes:
Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense.
Style:
Addictive. Floral. Energetic.

Also, Marc Jacobs has brought out his nice summery scents:  I liked the cucumber.  He has Rain, Cotton, and Pear also.  These are great when you just want a little something.  

MARC JACOBS Cucumber Eau De Toilette Splash, 3.4 oz

Any new discoveries to share??  

Respected Contributor

Re: Wow wow wow: YSL Black Opium Fragrance

I'm a patchouli fanatic. I must check this out.

Respected Contributor

I was a fan of Shalimar 40 yrs. ago...tried opium many years ago and received sample of black opium and not a fan as well.  Something in the scent that just gets to almost nauseating factor...even though I washed scent off wrist with soap/water and then wiped with alcohol on cotton pad, I could still smell it through the evening...

good news for those who like it!  It certainly has staying power, which strong scents do...I remember smelling Shalimar on my wrist the next morning!

Regular Contributor

I am wearing Black Opium today.  I LOVE this fragrance!!

Respected Contributor

Opium's been my fragrance for many years, but the new one is a close second!  Siiiiigh.Woman Wink  You're right, @hicindy2...Kiddies stay home!Woman LOLHeart

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I was a fan of Shalimar 40 yrs. ago...tried opium many years ago and received sample of black opium and not a fan as well.  Something in the scent that just gets to almost nauseating factor...even though I washed scent off wrist with soap/water and then wiped with alcohol on cotton pad, I could still smell it through the evening...

good news for those who like it!  It certainly has staying power, which strong scents do...I remember smelling Shalimar on my wrist the next morning!

@AKgirl2: I need samples too. I could never just buy a fragrance based on the notes w/o testing it with my particular/ peculiar chemistry.  One time I tried Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir and I thought I was the cat's meow. Unfortunately, the other people in my cubicle area were asking when had they sprayed for ants !! Needless to say, that was an expensive mistake. 

Respected Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@AKgirl2I could never just buy a fragrance based on the notes w/o testing it with my particular/ peculiar chemistry.  One time I tried Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir and I thought I was the cat's meow. Unfortunately, the other people in my cubicle area were asking when had they sprayed for ants !! Needless to say, that was an expensive mistake. 

@hicindy2 ...I don't purchase perfume without trying first (as I mentioned),  always get a sample...I wear Jo Malone's English Pear and Fresia and like it very much...the perfume and cosmetic counters at Nordstroms are so great, the sales reps always give me a generous supply of samples, especially the items I'm interested in!  

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2

Well, now you've really got me intrigued ..... my signature fragrance has always been Shalimar, but I've always liked the Oriental fragrances.   I had a dalliance with the original Opium when it first came out but it could be a little heavy.   I spritzed it in a store a while back, and I could swear they re-formulated it!

Would you also call Black Opium as being in the Oriental fragrance category?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably classified as a hybrid Gourmand Floriental.  I like to look on fragrantica.com.  Some heavy hitters designed this fragrance (see recap below)

Hmmmmm...classic YSL

From Fragrantica:

On September of 2014 Yves Saint Laurent launched Black Opium, an interpretation of the classic that should highlight the dark, mysterious side of the YSL brand. Master perfumers Nathalie Lorson andMarie Salamagne, in collaboration with Olivier Cresp and Honorine Blanc, developed the composition. Notes of coffee, present in large quantities, dominate the scent. Additional accords are pink pepper, orange blossom, jasmine, vanilla, patchouli and cedar.

Remember NOA by Cacheral:  same Olivier Cresp 

Noa Cacharel for women

Noa is a transparent composition of flowers, delicate spices, velvety fruit nuances and energizing power of coffee beans. This fragrances is like a tender whisper, feminine and subtle, weightless, but with a noticeable presence.
Tender powdery top notes of freesia, peach skin, peony and musk lead to floral heart of white flowers, ylang-ylang and rose. The base is woodsy transparent with coffee and incense touches.
The perfume was created by Olivier Cresp in 1998.

My all time dark sultry fave was Donna Karan's Black Cashmere

An intensive spicy-woody fragrance for colder days. “I wanted to create a fragrance which would be a kind of an essence of black cashmere, something dark and mysterious with a sensual and rich texture. There is nothing more opulent!”, – says Donna Karan. Spicy notes of saffron, carnation, red and white pepper intertwine with woody notes of patchouli and african sorts of assorted tree. Black Cashmere was launched in 2002.

Black Cashmere Donna Karan for women

What is a bit of a giggle, that when I was leaving a vapor trail of Black Cashmere, I was in San Francisco wearing power suits and heels.  Now I am running around in Chico's outfits and Sketchers.  Oh well, I wear perfume for my "inner me" to match my mood. 

Respected Contributor

To date, my favorite all time eau de parfum is Lacoste Pour Femme...I always receive so many compliments when i wear it, equally from women and men...most people always ask "what" are you wearing, which is the ultimate compliment🙆