Honored Contributor

Re: Would you tell out of kindness?

This is always such a hard decision because even if a friend or family, if it's something very personal, it always ends up being embarrassing or sometimes hurtful.

I agree though if its something like spinach or ketchup on your face etc.

by all means ok to say something.

But hard to decide because like @Pearlee's example, when the person gets home and notices, she would be embarrassed.

I have this pretty flowing white cotton skirt that has an underslip attached.

Once when I came out of the ladies room, you know how it gets caught up sometimes? Someone told me and I'm glad they did. But thats not something personal. Hard to decide isn't it?

And sometimes it might be something someone can't change very well.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess,

Your mother's advise is a good one I think. That skirt thing is just what happened to me and I was grateful someone told me. An easy fix and it can happen to many of us and its not a personal thing.So yes even if a stranger I would hope someone would say something!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I have seen some ladies with mustaches. No, I never say anything...🧐 My guess is somebody they know well can tell them.
Esteemed Contributor

Always, let someone know if they have lipstick on their teeth or spinach or pepper or some other food in their teeth  or toilet paper  stuck to their shoe or their  if they tucked their   skirt into their panty hose by mistake. I'd rather be told  than  finding out later .

. It's all in the way you tell them.

Valued Contributor

I would hope someone, stranger or friend, would tell me if it was something I could easily fix at the time, like toilet paper on my shoe, lipstick or food on my teeth, something hanging out of my nose, etc.  I would rather be slightly embarrassed  and fix whatever it was.  I would do the same to anyone, and I have.   They were grateful.

Not talking about a hair on the chin or pimple that needed covering.  I'd mind my own business about those things.

Honored Contributor

I would never mention a whisker or or most things. There is no need to embarass anyone. I would tell if they had something in their teeth or a booger hanging from their nose but that's it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, just do it with kindness and grace. If they get upset just tell them I wasn't saying it to upset you, by all means tell me the same if need be. Yes it's difficult but really I would just die if a friend didn't tell me. 

Contributor

yes,I will tell to save the embarrassment...I am discreet when I say it but will still say it and will even stop people from the street to let them know; your backpack is open and your money is showing, your middle button is open and your bra is showing and yes I even told a guy his zipper was open, I have always received great and thankful responses. One time at the office - before Covid - I now work from home, so there was this meeting with some of the section managers from the company and as I am walking to the kitchen to grab me a coffee, I ran into one of the managers as he is walking to the conference room, he had a long sticker on his pants , the ones that have the size on it. I stopped him and very discreetly told him, he was so grateful and could not thank me enough even after that day. On the contrary for me, one day I went out to buy something from the store during my lunchtime, it was drizzling but I did not realize it until I went outside so I decided to just run to the store without an umbrella and when I got back to the office, before going to a meeting, I spoke to three (3) of my "close" female co-workers individually regarding the meeting , these ladies used to have breakfast with me so we used to talk, well none of them say anything to me until I ran to the copy room and a male co-worker told me ,hey you may want to grab a mirror, you have black makeup all over your face, I ran to the restroom and there I was looking like a rock star with my mascara all over my eyes and cheeks...I still thank him to this day!

Honored Contributor

For me, there's a fine line between pointing out zippers open, your forgot your mask and pointing out to someone that they have a massive zit that needs concealing or a booger to be removed. That's getting in someone's personal space and crossing boundaries. 

Esteemed Contributor

If there is anything I can't deal with it's embarrassment.   I would certainly tell the person if it's something that I myself would be appalled about later.   I too, would always be discreet about it, say it quietly and move on.