Regular Contributor

Would you tell out of kindness?

If I had something that needed to be concealed or needed to be plucked, etc. I would want someone to tell me out of kindness.
Would you want a friend to tell you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you tell out of kindness?

Like .........your slip is showing.?

I remember - back when - that was a big OMG.    Or your nylon seam... (if you're too young to recall).............nylons for legs..... had a seam going down the back of stockings.

Spinach in my tooth - yah - tell me please.

Esteemed Contributor

Really, I don't know - I like my bushy eyebrows.  If I had a booger, then yes, I would hope so!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

i did tell my friend that she had a nose hair curling out of her nostril.  led into it with why everyone needs at least a 10x's magnification mirror. lol

Respected Contributor

I certainly mention to someone if they have spinach in their teeth, toilet paper on their shoe etc. but don’t speak up about personal grooming habits. I don’t need someone telling me I have something to be concealed LOL. I don’t consider that kindness.

Honored Contributor

Yes. A friend isn't a true friend if they don't tell you that you have whiskers.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I usually examine myself for random hairs or other potentially embarrassing things.  

something like having spinach in your teeth, needs to be pointed out to you by another person when out in public.  This exact thing  happened to me at a cocktail party and I appreciated the woman who softly let me know.  

Esteemed Contributor

No, I would never mention something that I thought needed covered or plucked.  It would only be my opinion.

Honored Contributor

This doesn't answer OP's question but reminds me of a situation I faced once. I was a participant on a panel at a conference at one of the prestigious Ivy League universities concerning the works of a famous (in his field) and admired professor. I had taken several of this professor's classes at college and after graduating, became a personal friend of his.  A 40-something year old woman, a professor at another college, had traveled to come to the conference. We chatted for a while and she was excited to find out I'd taken his classes and later became his friend. She asked me to introduce her to him.

Well....she had very noticeable coral-colored lipstick smeared on her teeth; it was impossible not to see it. So...as she talked to me I was deciding whether to tell her about it before I introduced her to the professor who was elsewhere in the large room talking to other people. She could have gone to the ladies room to wipe it off. I decided not to, because I knew my prof friend well enough to know he wouldn't care at all or think less if her in any way.  So I didn't 

tell her but probably should have because later after she talked to him, at some point she would have seen it and probably would have been embarrassed that she met and talked to him with lipstick smeared on her teeth.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember many times my mother telling me " if it's something they can fix immediately on their own, tell them. If it's something they can't fix easily, don't mention it. I have pretty much followed that rule. I once saw a lady come out of a dressing room with the back of her skirt tucked into her pantyhose. She had no idea and was still surrounded by clothing racks....I whispered the situation, she was horrified, and thanked me profusely. 
Would you want someone to tell you if it's a stranger and not someone you know?