Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you tell out of kindness?

If it is something that can be fixed quickly, i.e. the hiked-up skirt situation.  

I would not point out to someone they have a pimple. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

So....something like a pimple takes time to heal.  I wouldn't point that out to anyone.  But those random dark hairs that some of us get in places we don't check?   I'd like for someone to tell me, so I can pluck it out.  

that said....I haven't spotted or pointed it out to anyone I'm close to, but I do see them in strangers, and I wonder if they're aware.  

Regular Contributor

It depends on the person & situation.  Years ago at a company Christmas party after everyone had had a drink or two I had to pull the office girl aside and give her a heads up.  She came out of the bathroom with the back of her dress tucked into her panty hose!!  She was very appreciative! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

The title of this post is the key phrase "....tell out of kindness". It's a polite and quiet "I thought you'd want to know ...." so the other person can take care of it. I'd want someone to do the same for me - no laughs or jokes, just quietly tell me out of kindness.

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago we went to Vegas and the Grand Canyon.  On the flight out to the GC from Vegas we met a couple of women from the UK.  One of the women needed to wipe her nose  (there was something hanging out of it)Smiley Surprised  Her travel companion never said anything to her.  We were all together for a full day.  Her travel companion had a camera with a two foot lens.  She was taking photos of her and the landscape.  She NEVER told her she needed to wipe her nose.  I didn't say anything.

Honored Contributor

If a friend had something stuck in her teeth, or her lipstick was really smeared all over her front teeth, yes, of course I would tell her!  I would want a friend to tell me!  Also, if toilet tissue were stuck to the bottom of her shoe, or the hem of her skirt, were stuck inside her undies or something like this or she had split her troushers, I'd surely tell my friend, etc.!  As far as telling a person ---- hey, you should cover up that zit or something like that --- NO, NO, NO!  That's getting too personal!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, out of kindness - but discretely and quietly.  If I had spinach on my teeth or my skirt tucked into my panty hose, I would definitely want to know.  So I assume the other person would also want to know.

If a lady has a pimple, she already knows.  Believe me.  Pimples happen -- they take days to go away and you can't really hide them with foundation or concealer.  A pimple is not in the same category as toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For me the rest of the statement "Would you tell out of kindness" would include the word "discreetly". I would tell someone if the clothing was stuck in the underwear, there was lipstick on the teeth, etc. I also tell people when they have a tag sticking up on a top or one of the latest, a lady I didn't know had left a roller in the back of her head. I correctly thought she would want to know. She was mortified because by the time I saw her it was ~ 2P and she had been out and about for over four hours. In all that time no one had said anything.

The more personal things I try to ignore and don't mention.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I would absolutely (discreetly) tell a woman that she had something hanging out of her nose - especially when she was on vacation taking pictures.  I'd feel terrible if I did not.

Respected Contributor

I'm known for my sense of humor. If it's panty hose, open buttons, or zippers I might say, "What are you trying to show everyone?" Then I'd motion to them, or stand next to them so they could fix the issue. This may lessen the embarrassment blow. Dirty nose? I might motion to my own, and say, " Wipe your nose you have something there." Strangers? only if there were something showing that everyone was snickering or leering at.  I  appreciate it when someone tells me. There have been times no one has and I'll announce, "I've been walking around with stuff on my face and no one tells me???" Whiskers... that's not my place. Too personal! Like when someone points out a receding hairline. No way!