Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you spend $20 for a box of L'Oreal custom hair color?

Possibly. I currently do my own with professional products and mix my shades. I never was able to get a professional to achieve the exact shade I wanted.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

How can someone color their own hair? I couldn't see the back of my head - even with a mirror. It would never be like going to the salon.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

How can someone color their own hair? I couldn't see the back of my head - even with a mirror. It would never be like going to the salon.

@Effie54, my bi-fold closet doors are full length mirrors.  It's a dated look, but all I have to do is open them and I can see the back of my head in my vanity mirror or vice versa depending on which side I'm working on.  I do admit it's still a bit hard because what you're seeing is backwards, but still doable. I have often gotten compliments on my color even from others that work at the salon I go to.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54  I have short hair and use the entire bottle of Color Silk.  Only mirror I have is my bathroom one.  Have had no problems.  Personally, I could never sit for hours in a salon to have my hair colored and spend that much money on a regular basis.  At home works just fine for me.

Respected Contributor

Nope, I like the Loreal one in the drugstore which is abou $10.  Works fine. Been coloring my hair for 20 years, no desire to change up the routine.  And PS, every stylist I've gone to in recent years has given me unsolicted compliments about my color!

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

You don't need to see, just go by feel. You can tell when the roots are saturated by the feel on your (gloved) fingertips.  I actually prefer my own results vs a salon which also takes way too long for the same result and costs a fortune.

Honored Contributor

No, I get my hair colored at my salon, they do a better job than I was doing!

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

Yes, you pretty much have to use touch and guess if you don't have a 3 way mirror in order to color the back of your head. But this youtube tutorial by Nadine Baggot may give you a good visual of how she colors her roots. She's using a bowl and brush to dye her roots but it's similar when coloring your roots with a bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCwsyNhRalY

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

Yes, you pretty much have to use touch and guess if you don't have a 3 way mirror in order to color the back of your head. But this youtube tutorial by Nadine Baggot may give you a good visual of how she colors her roots. She's using a bowl and brush to dye her roots but it's similar when coloring your roots with a bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCwsyNhRalY

@TY, I use the bowl & brush method.  That is probably going to depend on your developer whether it's a creme formula or not.  A creme formula is thicker and is better with bowl and brush method.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Yes, you need a thicker solution in order to use a bowl and brush so that it's not a runny mess. I have colored roots with both a bowl and brush and with a bottle but like you said you need a creme developer (bleach) in order to use the bowl and brush method to color roots. 

I only do root touchups and don't pull the color through to the ends of my long hair either as it doesn't need it.

I didn't say upthread, but I don't think I would benefit from an online color consultation either since I have been coloring my own hair a medium brown shade sucessfully for years by only doing root touchups. I also seldom use L'Oreal owned hair color brands as I don't like the scent and I find the color just average for the medium brown shades.