Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Would you spend $20 for a box of L'Oreal custom hair color?

L'Oreal is jumping on the direct to consumer custom hair color bandwagon. Would you spend $20 for an online consultation and a box of hair color?

Read more about it in an article from Retail Dive:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/loreal-extends-personalization-push-with-dtc-at-home-hair-color-bran...

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you spend $20 for a box of L'Oreal custom hair color?

Not me.  I use professional color and mix my own colors.  Also, because I'm now mostly grey and I color red I cannot just do my roots because red fades so badly.  I have to use a different formulation on my roots than on the length both for grey coverage and to not damage my length.  

The other problem is, the color you end up being is going to depend on your undertones.  Most people don't know what their hair's undertones are, so they can't tell L'Oreal.  But, I guess it's still probably better than going by the color on the box.  Most often people go too dark and then you can't fix it.  I had a pro actually do that to me and had to live with the result.  

Honored Contributor

I no longer color my hair; however, if L'Oreal offered me a custom color and a product that is less harmful (it has to be different from what is on the shelves), then I would do it.  I am not coloring my hair but if I was that would be my preference.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Maybe...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Nope. I'd rather go to a professsional for her to do it correctly.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

No. I used to color at home, I got sick of doing it myself and it never lasted as long as it said it would. Now I go in and have it done and love the results.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Nor would I spend $83.50 for a pair of Logo slacks.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

No.  I've stopped coloring my hair but when I did I used Revlon's Color Silk, dark blonde, for my medium brown hair and was very happy with the results.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My days of home coloring are over. And they didn’t last long. I got a spot of permanent hair color on my bathroom vanity and that ended that. 

I enjoy getting my hair done by a professional. 

Honored Contributor

Not me because I know it would be a disaster.  I cannot get a good color out of a drugstore box of color.  Nice blondes are very hard to get from box color.  And my hair pulls way too gold.  It's needs a professional.  My hair even gives my professional a major fit.  LOL