Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Tell Someone Their Perfume Is Too Strong

On 2/9/2015 chickenbutt said:

Hey Shoekitty! Yeah, it gets in your mouth too then you're tasting it. I get that a lot in the grocery store because I shop when a lot of older (than me) ladies shop and so often they are wearing a ton of heavy perfume.

Jordan - Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Still a pretty civil conversation over all but I guess you, and the rest of us, have now been schooled. It's not that some people wear a ton of heavy perfume. It's not that it makes people cough, sneeze, and wheeze. It's US. We are the ones who are imagining the whole thing. I guess it's like the people here who think it's ok to be rude and spoil tv shows in non-spoiler threads - we should all just hide in the closet and, well, just stay there. Smiley Happy HA!

CB

I think loud perfume is disrespectful of others. It is different when it is worn in your own home. I do not believe anyone has the right to cloud up the air at work, in the business place , etc with strong scents. I have heard many people complain they cannot smell their perfume anymore. Sometimes I wonder if it is their smeller throwing them off guard.

Why doesn't everyone just light up a smoke on the bus, Dr's office, or work place, When I was working the supervisors put a ban on people heating up dried fish dishes because it smelled up the entire museum. Strong scents can trigger asthma, allergies, not to mention being offensive.
Again, JMHO

Honored Contributor

No...unless I was close family.

Esteemed Contributor

Through the plexiglass you can smell the perfume? You have a very keen sense of smell. I am somewhat wistful - my nose is not good. I do enjoy wearing perfume, though I generally get compliments or no comments at all.

One of the nicest things someone said to me was that I always smelled good. Don't know how I managed that, but I'll take it.

Maybe you ask the teller what scent they are wearing; if another time it happens, you can say you are allergic to that particular formulation and request someone else. Or go to the drive-through.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Winx said:

I wouldn't for we have all come across folks that wear perfume that doesn't go well on you but just because the smell isn't pleasing to me doesn't mean it's not pleasing to them.

I love wearing perfume!

However, I was recently asked by my work cube neighbor to change my perfume for it's bothering her allergies. I told her that I would try but that was a first for me.

I presently switched from Obsession to Falling In Love Spritz to Pure Grace Spritz and she even asked me to stop wearing everything and even told me that one of the guys that sits at a neighboring office that he doesn't like the Pure Grace Spritz. She didn't even like just the Pure Grace Lotion. So now I don't wear anything at all, lotion is now a fragrance-free drug store brand. I'm miserable with dry itchy non-fragranced skin for I have done more than anyone else would have done but to just keep the peace.

Anybody ever experience this and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you.

Enjoy your day!

If you get a body butter, it would help your dry skin and also afford a very slight non - offensive scent. Try Korres at HSN. I found any of the spritz etc. from Philosophy were way too strong. Pure Grace smelled too strong on me. Try the body butter White Grape from Korres. It has a very light fragrance and really helps dry skin.

Honored Contributor

I would only mention it to someone I work in a tightly enclosed space with. I like strong perfume, anyway. If I thought someone I know's perfume had turned, I would mention that-if I was a friend of the person.

Super Contributor

My husband was a government employee and rode a jitney which picked up workers in various parking lots and dropped them at various buildings. One morning a woman tried to enter the bus and was told by the female driver that her perfume was too strong. She'd have to walk or find a closer lot. This was not done quietly but in a loud and strident tone. The woman was so embarrassed, almost to the point of tears.

My husband left the bus after a few choice words to the driver. He was inconvenienced, but he sure made a point.

I never knew of this until my husband's memorial service. The "perfumed" woman came with a group of co-workers, introduced herself and told me the story. She said she never wears perfume having been traumatized by a bus driver.

Words and their delivery can help or hurt but are remembered.

Honored Contributor

Occasional Rain, that's kind of harsh-you could be getting someone fired just because they wear scent. I think that scent can be worn in some workplaces. I think that restaurant workers, nurses, doctors, most medical personnel that come in very close contact with patients, and some other workers should avoid scent. I do not think that everyone else needs to give up their scent at work, but I do think that they should use a light application.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 scotttie said:

I told someone accidentally once. Came back to work from lunch. This awful stench was in the room and I thought perhaps we had been fumigated for bugs.

Me: "Did they spray for bugs in here???"

Her: "No.

Me "Well WHAT is that SMELL???"

Her: "Is it this?" as she stuck out her wrist for me to smell.

Yup. That was it. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}{#emotions_dlg.blush}

LOL This reminds me of the time I was screaming in my sister's kitchen about how someone must have sprayed Deep Woods Off in here. Open a window already. It was her Anais Anais perfume. She has never worn it again.

Another time, at work, I smelled marijuana in our kitchen early in the morning. So I got my boss and other HR people to come check it out. It ended up being my HR colleague. She was wearing some musk-type thing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

A lot of times smokers spray themselves after they go outside to smoke (my sister does this), so you've got a lot of perfume on and if they have just come back from a smoke, they have probably just sprayed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 pattiewaddle said:

We live in a world where people take it upon themselves to tell others what they think or dislike. If you want someone to tell you to mind your own business go ahead and say you have too much perfume on or something else about them that is bothering you and see what happens.Women have the right to wear too much perfume or too little move away from them.One woman complained about somone in line wearing too much and the other people told the complainer she could shop at 7: am when the store opens and no one else was in the store....She shut up pretty quick......I agree......

That's true. But with rights comes responsibilities. I, for one, would not want to be responsible for being a huge annoyance or, worse, a vehicle for harming another person.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland