Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would You Tell Someone Their Perfume Is Too Strong

Yes I sure would and I have! A woman that comes into my office to relieve me was wearing Red Door, snd that scent puts me in respiratory arrest. She kept wearing it, after I told her to stop and I caused a very loud scene in the office. She finally stopped wearing it around me. I can't be near anybody wearing Red Door Cologne. The stuff stinks to high heaven.
Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 SusyQ222a said:
On 2/9/2015 brii said:

Abercrombie is the worst. That store stinks. I refuse to go in there. LOL

Yes it does. Unfortunately my daughter loves this store so when we are at the mall she goes in. I refuse to so I wait outside while she shops. I'm actually surprised that they can get by with that horrid smell. The last time I ever went in a lady was in there complaining that the smell was giving her a headache and the employee shook his head and walked away.

I always joke with my girls (they're grown up) that Abercrombie smells like man sweat. It really does smell like a locker room.

Super Contributor

No

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 annabellethecat said:

I don't think it was your place to tell this woman her perfume was too strong. Perhaps it was your nose that is out of whack. Ever thought of that?

I know it wasn't my place to say anything, but believe me it was very strong perfume!

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 traveler said:

I thought my sneezing and waving my hands in the air to clear it would be a hint.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I am sure I would sneeze, am very sensitive to strong odors.

Honored Contributor

This is a bit like having someone come up to you with garlic breath, which happened to me, so I just backed up enough so that I could bare it.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Penellope said:
On 2/9/2015 SusyQ222a said:
On 2/9/2015 brii said:

Abercrombie is the worst. That store stinks. I refuse to go in there. LOL

Yes it does. Unfortunately my daughter loves this store so when we are at the mall she goes in. I refuse to so I wait outside while she shops. I'm actually surprised that they can get by with that horrid smell. The last time I ever went in a lady was in there complaining that the smell was giving her a headache and the employee shook his head and walked away.

I always joke with my girls (they're grown up) that Abercrombie smells like man sweat. It really does smell like a locker room.

That store is unbearable, I could hardly breathe due to all of the scents, so never took DD back there.

Honored Contributor

I would have a hard time telling anyone that. If it is a work situation, I might talk to a superior in charge of that employee's duties.

My husband used to commute on a private bus to his job 50 miles away. There was a lady who doused herself in a perfume many found offensive. In fact one gentleman quit riding the bus, or was attempting to quit because of her perfume. My husband said his eyes watered, and he got stuffed up. I guess the bus driver sent a note home with her, that all people wearing perfume, shaving lotion, etc had to either quit wearing it, or make it barely noticeable because he had several people with allergies riding the bus.

It worked I guess. Sad one has to do that because it puts people in embarrassing positions.

Honored Contributor

Hey Shoekitty! Yeah, it gets in your mouth too then you're tasting it. I get that a lot in the grocery store because I shop when a lot of older (than me) ladies shop and so often they are wearing a ton of heavy perfume.

Jordan - Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Still a pretty civil conversation over all but I guess you, and the rest of us, have now been schooled. It's not that some people wear a ton of heavy perfume. It's not that it makes people cough, sneeze, and wheeze. It's US. We are the ones who are imagining the whole thing. I guess it's like the people here who think it's ok to be rude and spoil tv shows in non-spoiler threads - we should all just hide in the closet and, well, just stay there. Smiley Happy HA!

Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Desertdi said:

I once had a coworker who bought a bottle of Shalimar every payday. Luckily, our shifts only overlapped a half hour...........

That might be one of the most frightening things in a while!! :-0