Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Tell Someone Their Perfume Is Too Strong

I don't think it was your place to tell this woman her perfume was too strong. Perhaps it was your nose that is out of whack. Ever thought of that?

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to say no because I worked with a co-worker who bathed herself in Poison, the scent lingered in the hallways and everywhere she went. I was always in and out of the office and so happy when I had to go out. The killer was she refreshed it at noon, Ugh!!

Honored Contributor

Now-a-days, it's best to just keep quiet, and go to another teller (or whomever) from now on. Bad things have been happening to folks who speak up about their annoyances/pet peeves, etc. Folks (some) are in volatile moods now-a-days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I would not tell anyone this, but the reason is because I am not sensitive to smells (not allergic to flowers, scents do not give me a headache.) So overly strong perfume or after shave just doesn't bother me.

However I totally get that many do have these sensitivities and issues with strong scents, so I would also not have a problem if someone were to warn me that my perfume is too strong. I try not to wear much but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that I've gone overboard on occasion.

Honored Contributor

I do agree that if you are serving the public you probably should not wear any perfume.

My daughter is (so she claims) very sensitive to smells. Of course she was raised in my house (her mother) and I wear perfume every time I leave the house.

I've had people come up and tell me that I smell good and ask what I'm wearing (Amazing Grace). I've had men ask me and say they were getting it for their wives.

Again, I think when serving the public you must realize some people are bothered by smell more than others. Leave the perfume at home, go to work and put it on when you are off work.

Respected Contributor

No, I would not.

Super Contributor

NO!
Trusted Contributor

There have been a few times when I've wanted to say something but haven't and wouldn't. Even to a non stranger it would be difficult for me.

I love perfume and have always worn it. As much as I love scent and have many favorites there are just as many I can't stand. I prefer what I consider lighter scents most of the time. And even then I use a very light touch when applying. I've become more aware of others' sensitivity since reading these boards. This subject comes up quite often.

My husband wears cologne or aftershave daily too. We have 2 or 3 favorites in men's flagrance that we both really like. I make sure he applies with a light hand too. LOL!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Frequent Contributor

On 2/9/2015 brii said:

Abercrombie is the worst. That store stinks. I refuse to go in there. LOL

Yes it does. Unfortunately my daughter loves this store so when we are at the mall she goes in. I refuse to so I wait outside while she shops. I'm actually surprised that they can get by with that horrid smell. The last time I ever went in a lady was in there complaining that the smell was giving her a headache and the employee shook his head and walked away.
Valued Contributor

NO, not for someone that I saw for a few minutes at a time. If it was a co-worker etc., I guess I would have to say something because it would make me sick.

I go to water aerobics twice a week and there is a woman who reeked of an awful perfume. I made sure I stayed as far away as I could which is a shame since she is a lovely person. I kept picturing the perfume floating on top of the water. Fortunately they came along with new rules regarding body lotions, perfume, hair spray etc and started to enforce a "rinse off shower before you swim" rule. This has seemed to make things better and of course, reduce the amount of chlorine the pool needs.