Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Tell Someone Their Perfume Is Too Strong

I have and I would. I have asthma and heavy fragrances tend to provoke an attack.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

I worked in a bank for years as a commercial teller ,many customers wore way to much fragrance but , of course you can't say anything if you want to keep your job.The worst was body odor. We had many older gentlemen who had lost their wifes and the clothes smelled horrible just from being worn and not washed.We had a woman that would come in pull her money out from her bra, biggest yuck ever.So no I not say anything, maybe she is wearing fragrance to cover up what she smells all day.

Super Contributor

Yes, if it affected me directly and on a daily basis I would. I would compliment the fragrance first of course and then say it was a bit strong.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Sweetbay magnolia said:

Through the plexiglass you can smell the perfume? You have a very keen sense of smell. I am somewhat wistful - my nose is not good. I do enjoy wearing perfume, though I generally get compliments or no comments at all.

One of the nicest things someone said to me was that I always smelled good. Don't know how I managed that, but I'll take it.

Maybe you ask the teller what scent they are wearing; if another time it happens, you can say you are allergic to that particular formulation and request someone else. Or go to the drive-through.

I wish there was plexiglass then I wouldn't be able to smell her. The bank I go to it is all open by the tellers. I guess I'll just cut out the chit chat and be on my way!

Respected Contributor

No, I would never say anything because I would worry about her losing her job. My conscience wouldn't permit it.

I did, however, once in a restaurant, ask for a different table. The woman who just walked in reeked of White Shoulders and I started to feel like I was going to have an asthma attack. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2015 occasional rain said: There are people needing jobs who know better than to foul the workplace with their personal scent. Better the stinky teller be replaced with one of them.

You never cease to amaze with your take-no-prisoners points of view, regardless of the issue.

First you recommend sending official notices to corporate -- as "a kindness to her co-workers" {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} -- and then in this post you make it even crystal clear that your wish is for her termination.

And the irony here is that you couch your lack of any nuance or empathy in terms of being considerate for others.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I worked as a teller in a drive thru for a few months, and the minute the other teller would come in, you could smell her for a mile. It made me sick, and I would immediately tell her, Gail, your perfume is too strong.She'd go wash some of it off, ha, and I could still smell it. I told my supervisor about it too, and she had a talk with her about it. I wasn't trying to get her fired, but I had a perfect right to a safe work environment.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

We have a new hire in the office next to our business...it is a large building we share two spaces, so we can see and hear each other all day....she wears a fragrance that is a bit strong has a high pitched voice and talks a lot....not sure which is more irritating. I'd love to say something but probably will not.

Super Contributor

I once worked with a woman who was allergic to perfume so I didnt use fragrance at work.. However, she could use patchouli oil without a "reaction" and she wore it daily. One day she complained about a fragrance I was wearing. I told her the only scented item I was wearing was my deodorant. She then proceeded to tell me I should wear unscented deodorant. Lol.