Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 luvpoos said:

So I was on my way to take our dog for a grooming appointment. It was early morning and I saw one of my neighbors walking her dog. I pulled over to say hi, we live on a cul de sac. Haven't seen her over the winter. So she says to me, don't look at me, I do have not make up on and I look horrible and she walked away. I didn't have make up on either. Are women really that concerned about their appearance.

I'm raising my hand! I'm definitely that vain! I never leave my house without some makeup! I'm still very uncomfortable having my dh of 35 years see me. But thats just me. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Yeah, I can see myself doing that.

Regular Contributor
On 4/13/2014 lovesrecess said:

I don't think your neighbor sounds vain, just very insecure about her appearance.

I tend to agree with you, loves. It may be vanity, but I lean toward insecurity. Interestingly enough, I used to be very particular about putting on mu even to mow grass!! No longer. And, I look just fine. But, I think it was tied up in my insecurity.

Honored Contributor
A brown paper bag, tastefully decorated in seasonal colors, makes a light hearted fashion accessory when time constraints demand that you venture forth even before applying the basics. Discreet openings in the eye and nose area ensure seeing and breathing ability without allowing the overly curious to observe an offending freckle or wrinkle. My mother, in her fashion forward way, would sometimes say fondly "Go bag your head" when she thought I was becoming a little too focused on my exterior beauty at the expense of my interior glow. It always worked miracles for my perspective!
Valued Contributor

I agree with the others who've said this is not about vanity, but maybe something else is going on.

Trusted Contributor

The same thing happened to me yesterday morning. I went out in the yard to take out the recycling and my neighbors rode by and waved then stopped to talk. I just walked over and said excuse my appearance. We talked for 15 minutes or so. My hair wasn't fixed and I didn't have make up on.

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how the poor dog feels when she doesn't wear her makeup!

Not that I care for myself, and I doubt I would care at all about somebody else, especially if I had to deal with sun glare and couldn't see them anyway.

Respected Contributor

I roll out of bed and out to walk the dogs (and me!). I pull my hair back to control the frizz, but it's not done or neat. I toss on yesterday's clothes…. already dirty, and I don't put make-up on. Why get all cleaned up, if I'm going to be sweating (er, glistening!)? I see lot's of neighbors. When they see me "done" for the first time, I hear that I clean up well.

On the other hand, I have a new neighbor who I see once in a while when I'm walking. I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he said I was looking good. I told him that I was a mess… no make up, hair messy, glasses, not contacts (I HATE me in glasses!)…. He said that men like that look!

Super Contributor

She sounds moronic and crazy to me.

Super Contributor
On 4/14/2014 itsMe said:

I roll out of bed and out to walk the dogs (and me!). I pull my hair back to control the frizz, but it's not done or neat. I toss on yesterday's clothes…. already dirty, and I don't put make-up on. Why get all cleaned up, if I'm going to be sweating (er, glistening!)? I see lot's of neighbors. When they see me "done" for the first time, I hear that I clean up well.

On the other hand, I have a new neighbor who I see once in a while when I'm walking. I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he said I was looking good. I told him that I was a mess… no make up, hair messy, glasses, not contacts (I HATE me in glasses!)…. He said that men like that look!

Um.. Why tell him your a mess? I would have said thanks and walked on. Wink