Respected Contributor

Re: Worst Beauty Products You've Tried

@jaxs mom wrote:

The purity resulted in eczema on my face. The three in ones have SLS in them and I find them drying. 

I purchased lavender Vitabath at Ulta and it is sulfate free. 

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrelI use the Garnier Micellar Water with the PINK cap for those days when I wear little eye make-up and little foundation.  I find it does a gentle but thorough job.  On heavier make-up days, I use a make-up wipe first, and then the Garnier product.  I wouldn't suggest you try it, because you've had such a bad reaction to the BLUE cap product, but others might find it as nice a product as I have.

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@mistriTsquirrelI use the Garnier Micellar Water with the PINK cap for those days when I wear little eye make-up and little foundation.  I find it does a gentle but thorough job.  On heavier make-up days, I use a make-up wipe first, and then the Garnier product.  I wouldn't suggest you try it, because you've had such a bad reaction to the BLUE cap product, but others might find it as nice a product as I have.

@vsm  Yes.  You never know if a product will cause sensitivity, unless you know which specific ingredients cause you sensitivity and can look for them in the ingredient deck before using the product.

Part of the value of telling others exactly what you do or do not like about a product is that it may be relevant when they are making their decisions about whether to buy a product or not.  So maybe someone will say, "I doubt I'm sensitive to it like she is, but I don't like that it won't remove waterproof mascara like it says it will."  So I feel like even though people may not have the same experience with it that I did as far as the reaction, it's still worth knowing that a product which claims to remove waterproof makeup (the blue cap version) does not.  I did shake the product up before I used it, and I rubbed my eyes with a nearly-saturated cotton pad quite a bit, so it really should've worked.  Instead, it caused eye irritation.  I'm also still trying to heal the pimples that this product has caused, so anyone who tends to get pimples may not see it as worth the risk.  

If I only had one gripe about this product, that would be one thing, but I had:

1) eye irritation

2) a breakout

3) oily-feeling residue left on my face, when it claims to be a one-step product,  and

4) it didn't remove my waterproof mascara.  

That's four strikes against the product for me, which makes it a total dud.

I wonder if anyone else here has used the blue-cap formulation, and what their experience has been...?

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I posted this on another thread and thought it could help someone else avoid a disaster, so I'm re-posting it here:

Last night I tried Garnier's Micellar water, the one with the blue cap that says it removes waterproof makeup.  Glad I only bought a trial-sized bottle, because it's a nightmare.  Not only did it not remove my waterproof mascara, it also stung my eyes...for hours.  I rinsed my eyes and put drops in them, and the stinging still continued for awhile.  I wouldn't consider my eyes sensitve either.  Most products don't bother my eyes.  Contrary to what the bottle says, you really have to wash off the product or it leaves an unpleasant greasy residue.  I thought washing it off would be good enough, but within hours I started to notice little whiteheads on my face, and more formed overnight.  So I won't be using this product ever again.  I won't be giving it away to anyone either, as I don't want to be responsible for what happens to their eyes or face after use.  One of the worst products I've ever tried.

What products have you tried that you'd caution others about purchasing, and why?

I've tried the micellar water with the pink cap, and if you Google it, the one overwhelmingly negative comment women make is that it has a moldy smell to it! Yes, it does. 

Esteemed Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I posted this on another thread and thought it could help someone else avoid a disaster, so I'm re-posting it here:

Last night I tried Garnier's Micellar water, the one with the blue cap that says it removes waterproof makeup.  Glad I only bought a trial-sized bottle, because it's a nightmare.  Not only did it not remove my waterproof mascara, it also stung my eyes...for hours.  I rinsed my eyes and put drops in them, and the stinging still continued for awhile.  I wouldn't consider my eyes sensitve either.  Most products don't bother my eyes.  Contrary to what the bottle says, you really have to wash off the product or it leaves an unpleasant greasy residue.  I thought washing it off would be good enough, but within hours I started to notice little whiteheads on my face, and more formed overnight.  So I won't be using this product ever again.  I won't be giving it away to anyone either, as I don't want to be responsible for what happens to their eyes or face after use.  One of the worst products I've ever tried.

What products have you tried that you'd caution others about purchasing, and why?

I've tried the micellar water with the pink cap, and if you Google it, the one overwhelmingly negative comment women make is that it has a moldy smell to it! Yes, it does. 

@grammarqueen  That's weird, because the blue-cap one doesn't have a moldy smell to it, and my sniffer has become much more sensitive since I stopped wearing fragrance most of the time...so I think I would've noticed it.

Sometimes I think there is a quality control issue with beauty products, or the stuff has been sitting on a shelf too long.  Has this product even been on the market long enough to go bad?

I recently opened a jar of night cream by Jason (natural beauty company) and it has a very slight mildewy smell...but the product came out in 2016.  Then again, it is a natural product, and they go bad quicker...but I just opened it, and it came from a website, so it's not like customers were opening the jar at the store.  I don't know if that's just how the product smells, or if there is something wrong, because the smell is not strong at all.  Some companies add fragrance to cover up unpleasant product smells, and this has no fragrance.  So perhaps it is supposed to smell this way?

Respected Contributor

Purity gave my face a bad reaction!  Also Nick Chavez's Flocker spray!

How are you doing Mistri?  I've been thinking about you!!

@mistriTsquirrel

Honored Contributor

Seems like Purity is the winner or loser here!   I think the formulation changed after Coty bought the company.  My items would be:  M. Asaam items--caused breakout when I hadn't had any in over 20+ years, Mojave Magic powder--made me look orange.  I also tried Genie and it did nothing. 

Honored Contributor

By the way, Genie is back on Q again.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Purity gave my face a bad reaction!  Also Nick Chavez's Flocker spray!

How are you doing Mistri?  I've been thinking about you!!

@mistriTsquirrel

Thanks, @fortune.  I'm gettin' by.  I'm still sort of in limbo...mostly weaned off the Cymbalta, but haven't started the new med yet.  I have a few things that just popped up that I need to take care of before I start the new med, as I'm pretty sure I'll be sick for awhile when I start it.  Not looking forward to that.

How are things with you?

Trusted Contributor

It's funny how different products have different reactions on each of us. 

I love Purity and so do others who I know are using it. It completely takes off all my makeup and never burns my eyes. It does not dry out my skin at all. But I'm sorry for the bad reactions others have had. 

I mentioned earlier about Prai neck cream and how it balled up and shed all over the front of me. I don't know how it could be worn during the day with that going on.