Valued Contributor

Re: Wonder if this happened to anyone?

On 7/14/2014 garmer said:

I'd call a doc. Swelling in the face, especially the mouth can be dangerous. You could lose your airway. My son's lips did that when he was stung by a bee. Well, so did the rest of his body but, it always started with his lips.

When my son was about 8 he was given a prescription for Zithromax because he had an ear infection. He took the first dose about 7:30pm. About an hour later he came into my bedroom saying "My lips feel funny." When I looked up at him his lips were HUGE!! He had an allergic reaction to the Zithromax. I immediately called the pediatrician. A nurse talked to me. She asked what had happened. She said to give him Benadryl and to keep an eye on him all night long. I was told that if his lips got any bigger that I should take him to the ER immediately. Garmer is correct -- any swelling of the face can be dangerous because it can lead to the closure of your throat and airway. That is exactly what the nurse told me. taja123, I hope that everything works out for you. Good luck.