Valued Contributor

Re: Women( and men) who dye their hair too dark.

John Travolta sure looks great with those strands of grey running through his hair. He'll always be cute Vinnie Barbarino and Danny Zuko to me!

Honored Contributor

We went on a little trip the other day and we saw this old man with a black black wig on his head. I was sad that he wouldn't have someone tell him how bad it looked.

And another sad thing, he was a very good looking man. Bald would of been better.

It looked like a dead animal on his head.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Fake looking black hair reminds me of the Elvis impersonators...LOL

Hey, I resemble that remark. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We had a receptionist that was very old and solid white hair rhen out of the blue she died it dark. It looked so aweful on her 

Trusted Contributor

I have no issue with someone dying their hair a color of their choosing. To me, what is really aging, is when the color is not kept up. That couple inch white stripe on the part is unbecoming, unless you are a skunk. That is way more aging than being a shade or two too dark. 

Valued Contributor

There is a lady in her mid to late 80's in the dementia care facility where my husband is, and her hair is dyed very dark brown..They have a hairdresser who comes in to do the ladies' hair every few months, and it was a good thing, because this lady's hair was getting white around the part. She is a lovely

person, but I wish someone (her family) would tell her to change the color.  It just doesn't look good for someone of her age. I hope I remember that if I am blessed to live to that age.

I am 65 and still have dark brown hair that is beginning to show strands of white. At first it was ok because it looked like highlights, but now, just looks like white hair!  I am thinking of going maybe a couple of shades lighter, although I have never dyed my hair (only semi-permanent maybe twice a year). I don't want dark hair in an older face!  Or maybe I will just try a few shades lighter with Natural Instincts. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It looks so aging to see  an older Woman who colors her hair just a blanket dark color.  It doe s not look good or natural. Few people have one dimension hair color, especially after age 60.   At least put in  some foils of highlights or something to break up the color. If you do not like the grey, fine, but stark black hair like the model Mary on  Denim and CO. now looks so bad.

Wow! I'm so surprised to see this topic discussed! I just got my spikey pixie colored the blackest of black! It looks FABULOUS! I get so many compliments! What makes it look good is the fantastic shine it has! Especially in the sun. Sorry if you don't like very dark hair but thats just your opinion remember. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Too many people rely on the picture on the box and do not realize, many colors are far darker than they appear.  They do not realize that new hair growth and previously dyed hair, absorb color differently. 

There's a reason there are professional colorists. (they've corrected my home coloring errors)

I color my own hair. My mother taught that you need to buy a lighter shade than what you want the final result to be. I use a dark sable brown, and mix in a capful of soft black, to achieve an off-black result. Sometimes l feel like a chemist, lol.

Regarding "all one color," my hair is not. Since l wear it long, and color only the roots to cover grey, the bottom portion of my hair has oxidized to where it now has reddish highlights. This is exactly the same as what happens to natural, non-colored hair.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I am a brunette. My natural hair color is actually a lot darker now... It seems every decade added a shade darker to my hair... But, anyhow - I use a dark brown dye - all over, then just at the roots in between complete dye jobs. I have experimented with lighter shades of brown, they just did not look right with my coloring. And, nothing ever with any hint of auburn or ash - awful, awful on me. I have had  dark golden or caramel highlights several times in the summer months - but, highlights are very harsh for my hair so I really need to limit then - even my hairdresser told me that. I am not one of these women that can do highlights year round for sure - which is a shame, they do add a lot to my deeper hair color. I will always stick with a dark color. Not black of course, but a deep rich brown - rich being the key word. Brown does not have to be boring brown.

-Texas Hill Country-