Honored Contributor

Re: Women( and men) who dye their hair too dark.

It does look too harsh. Same goes for going to light. It makes you looked washed out.

My younger sister goes to light & it looks horrible & ages her. She thinks her hair is blonde but it looks grayish. I tried to tell her it's the wrong color but she thinks she's Miss America. LOL!!!

My hair is light brown. I use medium blonde to color my hair. Everyone thinks I had highlights. It does not look blonde after I color but it's not a solid shade.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother is Asian and she had naturally no gray, jet-black hair, so dark that it reflected blue lights. At the young age of 66, she passed away with all that pure-black hair still as shiney as could be. She had what I call "Geisha hair".Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

This is what happened to me. I colored my hair the wrong color once an it was so dark brown, it was beautiful, shiny and very healthy looking, however my husband and my mother both said-that is too dark for your complexion, makes you look older, so I went back to my medium golden brown hue and it is much better for me, but I can understand wanting to try something different and maybe out of the norm.....My dark brown was darkest brown, not just brown but the step above black.....LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turning 58 in Sept. Seems like yesterday was 1976. Miss the 70's!! Remember Disco? Bee Gee's? Donna Summer? Saturday night fever? Best of times. Woohoo Soul Train!!! Farrah's hairstyle!!! Best of times.

Honored Contributor

I'm fine with letting everyone have whatever color hair they like.

- I really don't give much, if any thought to anyone else's hair. Or clothes, or makeup, etc. 

Honored Contributor

And I've seen women with multicolored blonde stripes and they look like they circus clowns in lion wigs.  Whether we go dark or go light; it's best to stay with in your natural hair color range.  They say two shades ligher or two shades darker.  I personally would never get highlights for two reasons.  My hair is healthy and I think bleaching it would harmful and second I like a natural hair color.  Even gorgeous highlights are fake looking.  My natural hair is dark brunette, almost black.  I have a golden undertone to my skin so that dark hair/dark brows/nude lip works for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Regardless of what you are doing to your hair, if you are coloring it, people are going to be able to tell.  I dislike one flat hair color whether it be a light color or a dark color.  It never has any dimension to it and no one's natural hair is all one color so it looks especialy fake to me.

I dislike black colored hair period.  9 times out of 10 it looks like one used shoe polish to color their hair.  I have a very good friend who colored her hair black for years.  She finally lightened it up and OMG the difference is amazing.  She was looking back at pictures recently and asked why I never said anything to her about her haircolor.  LOL

You have to find a color that works well for your skintone.  I see so many women who go blonde and they don't have the skintone for it and it looks awful.  I remember a vendor who used to come on QVC and her hair was the exact same color as her skin. There was no contrast and it looked bad.  She looked embalmed. 

My hair is highlighted blonde and I have to be very careful to keep some dark in it.  When it gets too blonde and I have no depth, I look very washed out.      

Bingo!!!!   It cracks me up though.  Women who go blonde, think dark hair is too dark and harsh and whatever.   Those of us who go dark always think shades of blonde and highlights are to fake looking.  We see what we want to see and like what we like.   

Trusted Contributor

Sillemee, wow! no grey hair?! I'm soooo jealous! lucky you!

Trusted Contributor

151949, if you're old friends, why can't you tell her? 

Esteemed Contributor

Fake looking black hair reminds me of the Elvis impersonators...LOL