Honored Contributor

Re: Women( and men) who dye their hair too dark.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It looks so aging to see  an older Woman who colors her hair just a blanket dark color.  It doe s not look good or natural. Few people have one dimension hair color, especially after age 60.   At least put in  some foils of highlights or something to break up the color. If you do not like the grey, fine, but stark black hair like the model Mary on  Denim and CO. now looks so bad.

So where is your photo so that people here can give you critique? You might need to make some changes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

All of the sudden, I feel like I look old.Woman Sad

@SilleeMee

No way! Now, when you look in the mirror and see this lookin' back atcha.....you'll know you're old, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regardless of what you are doing to your hair, if you are coloring it, people are going to be able to tell.  I dislike one flat hair color whether it be a light color or a dark color.  It never has any dimension to it and no one's natural hair is all one color so it looks especialy fake to me.

I dislike black colored hair period.  9 times out of 10 it looks like one used shoe polish to color their hair.  I have a very good friend who colored her hair black for years.  She finally lightened it up and OMG the difference is amazing.  She was looking back at pictures recently and asked why I never said anything to her about her haircolor.  LOL

You have to find a color that works well for your skintone.  I see so many women who go blonde and they don't have the skintone for it and it looks awful.  I remember a vendor who used to come on QVC and her hair was the exact same color as her skin. There was no contrast and it looked bad.  She looked embalmed. 

My hair is highlighted blonde and I have to be very careful to keep some dark in it.  When it gets too blonde and I have no depth, I look very washed out.      

Respected Contributor

Totally agree, it looks too harsh and severe, on men also. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I would think that if someone continues to color their hair a certain color, then they must like it and think it looks good on them and they're the only ones who count.

I am sure many people  love their dark dyed hair.  That is wonderful. This was just from an outside view point from someone else's perspective looking at them.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

But, you do not have to care @SilleeMee.  If you are happy with it, that is wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

No way! Now, when you look in the mirror and see this lookin' back atcha.....you'll know you're old, LOL!

@KingstonsMom,

Oh dear! LOL!Woman LOL We'll all be old someday. I'm just goin' with it.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Me too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

But, you do not have to care @SilleeMee.  If you are happy with it, that is wonderful.

@SeaMaiden,

I do care.Woman Happy It's a vanity thing that I chose to fight aging...I can't help it. Maybe I should consider highlighting my hair now. hmmm

Honored Contributor

It's definitely a matter of opinion, and l respectfully disagree. I think Mary the model looks great, and so does Maria, the plus-size model. Both have beautiful skin and eyes, and the contrast with their dark hair is striking. I color my hair (to cover grey) the same off-black as it's been all of my life-- and wear it long. People l haven't seen in a long time tell me l haven't changed, which l consider a compliment!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~