Honored Contributor

Re: Women( and men) who dye their hair too dark.

It doesn't bother me in the least to see "people" who color their hair too dark. I guess I just never really paid that much attention. Besides, it's THEIR hair. 

Valued Contributor

@

@Tsukiko wrote:

@jazzbabe wrote:

@Tsukiko wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Tsukiko wrote:

This is why I like henna. It doesn't darken your natural color (I am brunette) and it makes my grey look like highlights.

@TsukikoI saw someone at my physician's office last week with that exact same color. It was so beautiful that I mentioned to her how pretty she looked. She shared with me that it was actually henna. Loved it....

Cool! If anyone is interested I use mehandi.com's Rajasthani Twighlight.

@Tsukiko, I would like to try henna but not sure what color would work with both my gray/dark brown  roots and previously dyed hair.

Hi Jazzbabe 

I would go to Mehandi.com and either talk to a customer service representative or you can order samples of henna that you can test on leftover hair from your hair brush. I would think that the one I use, Rajasthani Twilight is the one that would work for you but I don't know what the color would look like on the previously dyed hair. The website is overwhelming with info but it's the best out there about henna. They also have free ebooks you might want to check out. I hope this helps.

@Tsukiko, this website does have lots of info.  I think I will call their customer service.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

These are all just opinions & laughable as facts.  What looks good (& what doesn't) is completely subjective no matter what it is.  As far as hair color, my guy has the most beautiful shiny silver hair with a little gray mixed in at the temples.  Mother Nature knew just what she was doing as he aged.  Me (& my few grays which I do color) NOT SO MUCH, IMO.    Life ain't fair Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

It's true-- your skin fades with time. I looked at photos of me as a teen--I had almost black hair. I now use a level 6--a taupe color to dye my hair. It still comes out dark. Just not as dark as I was as a kid.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Personally, I really dislike the "black shoe polish" look on hair ... men or women ... any age.

I'm watching the Pilot episode of Blue Bloods and Tom Selleck clearly was au naturale for this episode.  He (or the show) got "feedback" about his gray hair and they must have had him color it.  The first 2 seasons he looked awful, I they seem to have gotten the color right now and he looks much better.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Jeannie29 wrote:

I have no issue with someone dying their hair a color of their choosing. To me, what is really aging, is when the color is not kept up. That couple inch white stripe on the part is unbecoming, unless you are a skunk. That is way more aging than being a shade or two too dark. 

@Jeannie29 wrote:

I have no issue with someone dying their hair a color of their choosing. To me, what is really aging, is when the color is not kept up. That couple inch white stripe on the part is unbecoming, unless you are a skunk. That is way more aging than being a shade or two too dark. 

Yes, this is not good.

I am blessed with curly hair, so the way I style my hair hides a lot of my roots.  I can go 5 weeks if I have to.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

It doesn't bother me in the least to see "people" who color their hair too dark. I guess I just never really paid that much attention. Besides, it's THEIR hair. 

@loveschocolate

I agree in theory .... but there are times when someone has got the look soooo wrong that it would be a blessing if a kind friend took them aside and told the truth with compassion.    

I seriously doubt that anyone wants to go around looking in a way  that makes others cringe just to look at them ... or talk about them behind their backs.

Honored Contributor

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Campion wrote:

It's true-- your skin fades with time. I looked at photos of me as a teen--I had almost black hair. I now use a level 6--a taupe color to dye my hair. It still comes out dark. Just not as dark as I was as a kid.

Yep; skin does lighten with time.

Which is why fair-complexioned people look even paler (and older) when their hair color is too light.

Especially if the shade is too light of a blonde.

If it's also too ashy in tone, it's even more aging.

So the new(er) 'rule' is to not always go lighter as one ages.

For my own medium brown hair, I've gone a bit darker and richer to better contrast with my very light skin and light-colored eyes.

Another reason:  my brows darkened with age to almost black.

Even stepped out of my comfort zone two years ago and got "hip/cool" black eyeglass frames, LOL.