Honored Contributor

Re: Woman wears no makeup to job interview

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wonder if a man would have been rejected if he appeared with stubble on his chin, long hair, etc.

@kaydee50  - I"m sure the man would have been rejected with stubble on chin and long hair.

I agree with @JeanLouiseFinch that at least a little makeup should have been used.  Nothing glam - just something.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Goes back to the question, why are appearances so important?  Makeup just leads to other things such as weight.  Women should be accepted for what they bring to a company, not what they look like.  It should be stated as a job requirement if they will be judging you on it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

It is possible that she had serious sensitivities to chemicals.  

If so, I can relate.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

As a stylist, our DD is expected to look put together, hair done, and wearing makeup.  Would anyone want to get their hair done by someone in pajamas bottoms, a holey Tshirt, no bra, slippers, and a messy bun?  I doubt it.  She is expected to look professional and she's also representing her company. 

In the OP, the suggestion on making an effort doesn't mean glam makeup.  It could be as simple as a little foundation, blush, mascara, and lipgloss. I personally think that's reasonable.

Would male stylists also be required to wear makeup?  Many job postings indicate the dress codes such as business or business casual.  Holding women to a different standard is wrong.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

As a stylist, our DD is expected to look put together, hair done, and wearing makeup.  Would anyone want to get their hair done by someone in pajamas bottoms, a holey Tshirt, no bra, slippers, and a messy bun?  I doubt it.  She is expected to look professional and she's also representing her company. 

In the OP, the suggestion on making an effort doesn't mean glam makeup.  It could be as simple as a little foundation, blush, mascara, and lipgloss. I personally think that's reasonable.

@JeanLouiseFinch but the woman who was interviewing was nicely dressed and had her hair professionally done.  She only had no make up.  I am sure she did not look sloppy just b/c of that.   I would have no trouble having my hair done but someone who presented herself nicely dressed and hair done with no make up.  I myself only wear eye liner and eye brow pencil to work.  I dress appropriately for the job and my hair is well kept. I don't think I look any less professional without foundation, blush, masacara and lip gloss. 

There might have been a good reason the woman had no make up on- maybe her skin and eyes are senstive to make up. 

Honored Contributor

The saddest part of this story is that most of you accept this as normal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wonder if a man would have been rejected if he appeared with stubble on his chin, long hair, etc.

Depending on the job, I would say yes.  I've got nothing against long hair if it's well taken care of, but I can see job positions where the applicant wouldn't be hired. 

Respected Contributor

was it a cosmetic company?

otherwise she dodged a bullet

can only imagine how shallow they are in other areas

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For most of my life I have not worn make-up.  Even when I worked in skin care and make-up, I often went without.

It's not that I don't know how to apply it, I went to Cosmotology school and I am licensed and had updated classes in NYC, Dallas, TX and Ontario, Canada on how to apply and what colors to apply to different skin types and tones.

I never felt make-up enhanced my looks.  I am fortunate to have even colored skin, beautiful eyes ( unique color) and nicely shaped brows.

I never had a problem getting or keeping a job because of my lack of make-up.

Unless the job description said make-up was required, I have a big problem with being turned down for a position because I didn't wear it to an interview.

If males aren't expected to wear it, neither should women be.

I think the women in question dodged a bullet.  I would not want to work for a company that did not value women for their qualifications.

Unless the job required her to use products that they were selling or was a job modeling or some other excellent reason why make-up was necessary, make-up should not matter.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal - As someone who has worn makeup every single day (except on rare days during illness when lying in bed with chickenpox, influenza, or influenza-like illness) since my early teens, I think makeup is important. A woman going on an interview, at the least, should cover up any skin imperfections that are noticeable, wear some kind of tint on the lips, define eyebrows, and wear some layer of eyeshadow, even if it is a barely there, neutral color, and mascara. I think a bit of eyeliner, whether above or below the eyes is also nice, for definition purposes, and should be utilized, but someone with big, brown eyes would not necessarily need it if their eyelashes are noticeable and defined. Those with light-colored eyes (green, blue or gray) will appear to have non-existent eyes wthout any makeup. Eye contact is necessary during an interview. The potential employer will be looking directly into the interviewee's eyes and will notice (and either like or dislike) their face, I don't think you need to look like a supermodel on an interview, but showing that you have given some kind of thought into your face is important. (I would look like the living dead without makeup, and I would expect others to think I looked like the living dead if I were interacting with them without wearing any makeup.  Looking dead -- or sickly -- is not a good look for an interview.)

As an aside, many years ago, I did two makeup makeovers. One on my supervisor, and one on my college roomate. My supervisor looked fantastic, with the neutral eyeshadow, black mascara, light pink blush and pinkish/natural shade of lipstick I asked her to purchase from Clinique. My roomate looked like a model, with makeup applied. Her blue eyes had never before been defined, and her eyelashes were barely there in their natural pale brown to blonde color, without makeup. With brown eyeliner (because she is a pale-faced blonde), black mascara, light pinkish/coral lipgloss, and just a tad of neutral taupe eyeshadow, her date could not stop staring at her. She was (and still is) an athlete who never took the time to wear makeup. I was so proud of how great she looked for that eveninng out. It was qutie the transformation. (I actually helped her with her makeup on her wedding day, years later.)