Esteemed Contributor

Wired magazine article about beauty

A beauty industry article in a tech magazine? Yup.

While I was waiting to renew my auto insurance today I read an article in the Feb 2017 Wired magazine about the beauty industry, the beauty influencers, the youtuber beauty haulers, and the teen followers converging at the convention called Beautycon. It's all about "engagement" with your followers on social media as you get them to buy your beauty products. Even QVC got a mention in the article as they were there and were giving out free lotion samples.

I guess that explains what Q's BeautyIQ channel is trying to do -- engage their potential really young customers into spending money with them through social media facebook live chats.

The article is online on Wired:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/youtube-makeup-stars-beautycon/

Step Inside the YouTube-Fueled, Teenaged Extravaganza That Is Beautycon

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wired magazine article about beauty

Love "Wired".  I'll check out the issue.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I love Wired too-but I'm the most technically challenged person I know.  I still use a flip phone and I don't know how to text! Go figure.....

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting about this magazine I will take a look.

Super Contributor

Speaking of you-tubers and beauty, there is a young dermatologist on you-tube "A Day with Dr. Dray", who gives great tips on skincare and overall health.  She will even answer questions!   She is so worth checking out.  She has a daily vlog.

asltw

Honored Contributor

It's all about making money.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ASLTW. A derm that has to go to YouTube and give pointers? Sounds iffy to me. Don't see Dr. Gross or Perricone on YouTube.

Esteemed Contributor

Social media is so huge in the influence of beauty today. If you doubt that then just go try to buy a product recommended by Kathleen Lights or another popular youtuber but cannot get it because it keeps selling out. I have had this happen about 4 times in the last month. All a direct result of social media and the recommendations of certain beauty vloggers.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ASLTW. A derm that has to go to YouTube and give pointers? Sounds iffy to me. Don't see Dr. Gross or Perricone on YouTube.

Not iffy at all. They realize that this is the present and future and it is very lucrative for them . Some very skilled derms/plastic surgeons are on youtube.

Perricone can't even be bothered to sell his own products so I don't know if I would use him as an example for anything.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, Gross & Perricone are both on YouTube

with their own dedicated channels.  

Not a lot of videos but somewhat active. 

I get a lot of flack when I mentioned my plant doctors

being on YouTube. Seriously...anyone who is anyone will 

use this social media tool for awareness.   In fact, I would

get 'raised eyebrows' if the national doctors you follow (for anything)

DIDN'T use social media platforms.   It's a new age, folks. 

IMG_0823.JPG