Honored Contributor

Re: Will you be back at the salon if it opens next month?

@AuntG wrote:

Not a high priority with me but I can imagine it is very important to some. I wonder if shops could be opening with a limit of three customers and two stylists inside. I'm thinking of elderly women who can't wash and style their hair. The beauty shop near me has mostly standing appointments for elderly people. The stylists even help these people get from the car into the building. I don't want to make it seem like an emergency, but those customers need to be taken care of soon.

@AuntG   I used dry shampoo on my Mom for 2 months in the nursing home. The style wasn't great, but her hair was cleaner. Remember as we age, hair tends to be more dry. Washing it once a week, they'd only miss 6-8 washings and using a dry shampoo instead. 

Honored Contributor

@Elbelle wrote:

I'm not going anywhere except to the supermarket -- until they have an antibody test!

@Elbelle   I may wait until a vaccine is available or temps are taken before entering or there are inspectors (that I can see) waking through a store or salon wiping down chair handles, door knobs, bathrooms after each person uses it, hand mirrors after each customer....Think that will happen? I don't.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I will definitely go back when they can fit me in ( they will be swamped with calls, they may be limited as to how many clients they can have in the salon at one time). I would be shocked if my stylist didn't wear a mask while working on clients.

@Jordan2   Devil's advocate here. Your stylist is wearing a mask. The client the day before your appointment is a carrier w/o symptoms. After combing, washing and touching that client for an hour or more, your stylist touches his/her own eyes now maybe they are infected. Just wearing a mask is not a guarantee. 

@Shanus I would think she would possibly wear gloves, gown, and a mask. Everyone is free to do what they think is best for them. For me, I will go, maybe some will think I'm shallow, but I feel so much better when I walk out of the salon then when I walked in, with newly cut and colored hair. My mother who was 92 (she recently passed), was still getting her hair colored, it was good for her mental health, she enjoyed going to the salon.

Respected Contributor

It really depends on how things open back up. Without massive testing and contact tracing efforts, I don't see anything opening up.

My state is near the bottom for testing. A health official in my city says that they estimate that there are likely 7x more positive people than we're aware of because of the lack of testing. Until that's under control, then I'm not going anywhere, including the salon.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are willing to chance it and will definitely go to the salon to get their hair done, while others will be too afraid and will wait for months. Its up to each individual. We can all weigh the pros and cons of going vs. waiting, but its up to each person to decide what is best for them and their comfort level.

Esteemed Contributor

@Elbelle wrote:

I'm not going anywhere except to the supermarket -- until they have an antibody test!

The supermarket is worse! I've seen children clumped with parents, and none wearing masks. That surely is a disease spreader. 

Honored Contributor

I taught myself how to color my hair more than thirty years ago. As far as the layered, chin length bob I wore, I cut it yesterday into a short layered hairstyle via the help of YouTube and my husband. I love the way it looks and plan on continuing to trim it myself.

I have always been a hands on do it yourself person, so my hair is no different. I will put the money away that I would have spent at the salon and dream about going to Bermuda in 2021. A girl can dream... LOL

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We're "supposed" to be back up and running April 30, my rescheduled hair appt is for May 2. Yipoee!!

@ID2  In another post I thought you stated you cut your own hair.  I asked you how you did it because I too have a super short pixie.  I'm so sorry, I misread that post.  I just wanted to apologize.  Have a great day.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We're "supposed" to be back up and running April 30, my rescheduled hair appt is for May 2. Yipoee!!

You posted you were a Type 1 diabetic. Aren't you fearful that being high risk you need to take extra precautions? I know I would be worried about contracting the virus from such close contact...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in PA too. Seriously doubt that Governor Wolfe will open salons. My thought though is that there should be a limit of how many clients can be there at one time. Also only the client should be allowed in no other family member. Of course anyone who is sick should not be allowed in either. We are facing very different times ahead. No one has the right answer. It's going to be trial and error. Hopefully we all will learn to adjust to a new lifestyle. In answer to your question is that I will go because I trust that extra precautions will be taken. BTW my county has had over 250 cases.