Honored Contributor

Will you be back at the salon if it opens next month?

I have a friend whose hair appointment this month was canceled.  She rescheduled for early in May and will go if the state allows salons to be open. 

I can understand wanting to get your hair done and I will soon need professional hair services myself but personally I'm just too afraid to go anytime soon even if they should reopen. 

Just because they might reopen a hair stylist is standing over you working on your hair for usually half an hour or more.  I can't see how them possibly wearing a mask would keep infection away if they happened to have the virus even if they show no symptoms.

Just my thoughts on it.....what would you do?  I'm in PA and while it's not as bad here as it is in neighboring NJ & NY, it's still bad enough.  There are 1222 cases with 40 deaths so far just in my county.

Respected Contributor

Re: Will you be back at the salon if it opens next month?

I ordered something to help me cut my own hair (it is short and layered).  If this works I may stay away for a long time.  I know how you feel.  Without a cure or vaccine it will be around for a long time.  I try not to think to far ahead and just get through each day.  I am trying to grow out the color which is really hard.  It seems since I decided to go gray my hair stopped growing. I will just take it day by day.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH and I discussed about resurfacing from quarantine and we both agreed on this, we are going to hold back two weeks and just see what happens. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   I'm thinking of ordering something too and watching some YouTube tutorials if I can find some good ones on cutting it myself....my hair is just above my shoulder in a bob with some layering on top.

I would need a pair of good sharp scissors.  What did you order?

Honored Contributor

I'll go as soon as they can work me in.  If people would obey the rules they could probably open with 1 or 2 stylists in the building and each with a client....spaced apart, as long as all parties are willing.

Honored Contributor

Since I have immune issues I will most likely be in quarrantine long after the world re opens and have to wear a mask for the forseeable future

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs My friend mentioned about spacing customers out.  My fear is how do I know if the stylist working on me is virus free?  How can you protect yourself even if the stylist wore a mask? 

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@chiclet   I'm thinking of ordering something too and watching some YouTube tutorials if I can find some good ones on cutting it myself....my hair is just above my shoulder in a bob with some layering on top.

I would need a pair of good sharp scissors.  What did you order?

I ordered Combpal...It is just a comb with a guide to hopefully get the layers the same length.   I figured it may also work when I get my haircut at a salon and they get it uneven.  I wanted to order clippers to go with a 2 inch guide I ordered to fit my dog clippers.  It did not work on them but all clippers that will fit it are sold out....
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Since I have immune issues I will most likely be in quarrantine long after the world re opens and have to wear a mask for the forseeable future

@I am still oxox     I don't have immune issues but DH does.  However I have hypertension and the medication that I take for it has been mentioned that it in some way attaches to the virus and does damage.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Yes, I understand that concern.....before I get jumped on....I am speaking for my area ONLY....we have had less than 10 cases in the county.  

If the stylist wants to wear a mask and gloves that would be ok with me...precautions would need to be in place.