Trusted Contributor

Will regular Coconut Oil work the same as extra virgin Coconut Oil?

Will it work the same as a facial cleanser and as I deep hair moisturizer? I have some regular coconut oil in the cupboard. I've been using it to cook with, but I was thinking about using it on my hair.

Do I have to use extra virgin? Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Will regular Coconut Oil work the same as extra virgin Coconut Oil?

No use what you have already. I use organic, unrefined coconut oil on me and for my cooking.

Respected Contributor

How do you use it as a cleansing oil?

Super Contributor

I would use what you have then buy the extra virgin. I love it for facial oil and hair and body. As far as cleaning the face and removing makeup. I found it didn't take all my makeup off. Cleansing oils have more than one ingredient.
Respected Contributor

I read that when it comes to coconut oil, virgin, extra virgin etc may mean nothing. It is not regulated. I bought a jar from Trader Joe's. It may or may not be $lutty.
Super Contributor

Trader joes is such a great price
Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 tigriss said:

How do you use it as a cleansing oil?

Hi Sue98 & Tigress. Using coconut oil that isn't extra virgin, you will not get the neutrients that Extra Virgin Contains. I much prefer Organic as it doesn't contain pesticides. I do use Tropical Traditions Organic cold pressed Extra Virgin Coconut oil but you can purhase other brands at Whole Foods or online at Vitacost etc. Refined Coconut oil, you will not get a strong scent of coconuts where as unrefined you will get stronger scent if thats what you prefer....

My skin type is more dryer this time of yr. but mostly normal. This cleansing method is widely used. I apply the coconut oil (1/4 tsp) rub it in the palm of my hands, lightly message on my face, leave it on for a few minutes then use hot but not scalding water with a white face cloth & steam my face until the cloth turns cold & gently take it off the oil then I repeat the process I follow with an aloe toner, or you can use any toner that does not contain alcohol. I soak a cotton round with a toner & to take any traces of oil. If you have broken capilaries, best that the water is not that hot but warm.

Whether you have to remove makeup or not, this is a gently way of cleansing & also makes the skin feel like silk.

If you have color treated hair, its best to use coconut oil on damp hair as a deep conditoner & don't leave it on for long maybe 15 minutes the most as it tends to strip color.....Otherwise on natural hair its fine using on dry hair & as an overnight treatment. HTH

Honored Contributor

I use it on my hair but wouldn't want to use it on my face.

If you are a Costco shopper they sell a 4lb jar there for about 13, which is pretty cheap.