New Contributor

Will Wen help balance oily hair?

I'm a first time Wen user. I can tell Wen is making my hair healthier but I've always had oily hair and needed to shampoo every day - though less oily I am still shampooing everyday with Wen. I've gone through a bottle in just over two weeks - so will it start to help balance out my hair making it less oily so I can skip cleaning it daily?
Respected Contributor

Re: Will Wen help balance oily hair?

Yes this is a benefit of WEN, but You may not be using the right formula to see those results more quickly. Cucumber Aloe is the most clarifying to help with immediate oil, but TT is what actually normalizes the scalp and production of oil. Also of great help will be using TT oil on your scalp at night to cleanse out in the morning. The oil tells your scalp it has what it needs and it stops pumping out oil on its own. Sounds counterintuitive but that is how it works.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
New Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Kjelle said: Yes this is a benefit of WEN, but You may not be using the right formula to see those results more quickly. Cucumber Aloe is the most clarifying to help with immediate oil, but TT is what actually normalizes the scalp and production of oil. Also of great help will be using TT oil on your scalp at night to cleanse out in the morning. The oil tells your scalp it has what it needs and it stops pumping out oil on its own. Sounds counterintuitive but that is how it works.
Thanks Kjelle - do you think it will happen eventually regardless of what scent I use? I bought a variety pack so I have a bunch of different ones to try!
Respected Contributor

Yes, I think it will. I would say buy the TT oil, though. Good luck! I'll add that the reason it will work is because you don't strip everything from your scalp every time you cleanse, your oil production will begin to slow as your scalp "gets the hang of the new regime!"
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

I've had great luck with the Cucumber Aloe.

Respected Contributor

I'm an expert in oily scalp because I have one. I CAN go one day without cleansing but by the end of the second day it's oily. I feel you can't change your genetic code although there's a man out there that says you can literally but who knows? That's another story but anyway, I've been using Wen exclusively 4.5 years now and I have NO split ends and I look for them and can't find any. After cleansing my hair is hydrated and SHINE and bounce but alas, I cannot go two days without cleansing. Now another poster recommended Cucumber Aloe and it IS for oily scalp but I tried it and I don't feel it's creamy enough for me but I would try it, after all this poster found it worked great for them, I would try it, you can get a 16 oz for starters and if you like it go for the 32oz. I would never use anything on my head or body but Wen (in private parts dove soap){#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Regular Contributor

I've been using a variety of CC'S like you have, and I can go at least 2 days. My scalp is extremely oily and is usually oily by the end of day 2, but I find the time I can go differs depending on which core I used. TT usually results in oily hair faster, and POM usually let's me go an extra day with a clean scalp. I say play around and use each bottle you have at least once in the same week or so and see what results you get. If you notice your hair isn't greasy on day 2 with a certain formula, go with that! The oil does help, but I made my own mix for less than $20. Wen is so versatile you can make it work the way you need it to. Also if you start adding days between washing regardless of if you're oily, your scalp will start to "learn" that you're not washing it daily and will adjust the oil production. Just start doing oily hair styles like teasing your roots, wearing a braid or pony, etc. Good luck!
Frequent Contributor

I've been using Wen for years and still need to cleanse everyday. Some of us are just oily.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 RiosMom said:

I've been using Wen for years and still need to cleanse everyday. Some of us are just oily.

True!

Regular Contributor

I agree that everyone is different. But I am another person who has experienced a normalization of that scalp with continued use of WEN. I used to have to wash my hair (WEN or otherwise) daily. I can now cleanse every third day. I find it amazing. While I am not as religious with doing the overnight oil treatments of the scalp anymore, I think that doing those can absolutely help.