Super Contributor

Wig questions and need help

[ Edited ]

I'm far enough along in my chemo that about 2 more handfuls of hair and I'll be ready to shave my head.

I'm ready to invest in a quality wig and don't have a price limit.

I want to look like me.  My natural hair is light/medium brown and about chin to shoulder length.  It's naturally loose curls that are bushy, fluffy, and stand away from my head - really full.

I've searched many wig sites, and can find the right color and approx. length, but none have the curl and fullness of my hair.  Is that something you have to do yourself?  Will I have to learn how to style a wig?

Also, what is the most natural looking type?  Human hair or another type fiber?  What type of cap?  Lace front or other?

If you've been watching Poldark on PBS in the last month, I have Demelza type hair in light/med brown.  I clip it up in the back a lot like she does.  Can you do that with wigs, or does the fake cap show?

Also, if it matters, I know many wigs are geared for African American women who add or weave in hair, and I am caucasion.  I need a total wig that covers my whole head, not extensions.

Any wisdom, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Wig questions and need help

When i started my chemo 32 years ago, I had hair to my mid back. I chose a short wig and found it to be cooler. I liked myself in short hair and have kept it short all the years since then. In comparison to my  baby fine hair my wig was very full.

Valued Contributor

I lost my hair due to chemo in November/December. I purchased the Hairdo angled cut wig in mocha. Everyone complimented me on it, but I just felt weird. I have been wearing hats instead of my wig and that suits me fine. Everyone knew I had lost my hair so I just sort of went for it and didn't bother with wig-just cute hats/caps.
Now my hair is coming in and I am about to let the hats go too.
To each his own I say!!! You will have to find your comfort zone.
A co-worker of mine has 5 wigs (but she had 1 before cancer) and was more comfortable wearing the wigs. I am glad I didn't invest a lot of money in my wig because it wasn't for me.
My prayers are with you as you travel this journey. Do what makes you the most comfortable and feel the most beautiful. (((Hugs))) to you!
Honored Contributor

I would recommend asking your doctor or treatment facility if they can direct you to a cancer support group in your area. I'm sure some women in you area have been through this and may be able to direct you to a local place where you can get personalized information, even if you eventually choose to purcahse online.

Valued Contributor

I wear wigs. I go to a local wig salon where  I Buy it and she styles it and fits it for me. The price is around  $150. Try an on-line wig and go to your hairdresser. Good luck.

Valued Contributor

ChynnaBlue ChynnaBlue Respected Contributor
6:29 PM
I would recommend asking your doctor or treatment facility if they can direct you to a cancer support group in your area. I'm sure some women in you area have been through this and may be able to direct you to a local place where you can get personalized information, even if you eventually choose to purcahse online.
Posted from a mobile device, so I hope it looks okay.
Add Comment
Heart 1
I agree with ChynnaBlue- if I had felt more comfortable with my online wig I would have sought out a Salon that specializes in wigs and maybe got another so to have more than one. Everyone raved about how nice my wig was from QVC, but I just ended up liking the hats/caps better. Again (((hugs)))) and best wishes!!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best way is to find a wig store that you can go into to find what you want.  The most realistic wigs can be thousands of dollars. If you get kosher european hair it will look like real caucasion hair, because it is. You can have it styled any way you want but again, this is big bucks.  There are wigs designed just for chemo patients so they fit exactly, aren't scratchy, have areas that can be glued or taped down, etc. Most really good wigs are sold by density and judging by your description, you would want high density. An all lace base looks most natural but doesn't last as long. Not as comfy because it doesn't "give" like stretch lace.  

So, a trip seems in order. Most hospitals can tell you where to go for decent looking wigs.

If you Google sites for cancer wigs you will find a ton of info. HTH

Honored Contributor

I just passed my third chemo treatment and the hair is gone.  I've gone the cap route.  I would look locally to feel what the wig feels like on.  The hospital gave me three wigs.  I hated the feel of all of them, but kept one in case I needed it.  I brought it to my hair dresser when I had my head shaved.  She cut it, but it looks horrible.  I think it's the wig, not the cut.

I'd suggest calling the American cancer society or look good feel better group and ask them for a referral.

Esteemed Contributor

Jayro, you should definitely find a local wig store where you can get personlized service. Buying wigs online (and cutting corners in quality and price) is fine for people like me who are just wearing them for fun, but for your requirements, and because you have never worn a wig before the personal service touch is vital.  I think you should be able to get a very high quality human hair, or (if you don't mind) excellent synthetic or human/synthetic blend for under $1,000. However, it probably will cost at least $300 and up.  As previously suggested I would ask at the hospital, or if you are in a support group, ask them.   

I wish you the best of health.  

Super Contributor

I knew you guys here would be able to help - thank you so much for all the ideas.  I will definitely see if I can find a wig store in a nearby city and check out the ACS as well.

If you think of anything else, please keep the info coming!  I appreciate you all!