Respected Contributor

Re: Wig questions and need help

Jayro....I wear spare hair and have for many years due to hereditary hair loss. I'm glad you are going to go to a wig shop. I have one in my area that I just love, and the gals there are super nice and talented with helping women find something that works for them and is beautiful and natural looking and comfortable. Best of luck to you.
Trusted Contributor

My daughter is an observant Jew, and wears a wig, made of human hair, looks natural and feels good, according to her.  I have seen ladies going through chemo go where my daughter goes.  They are very expensive, and I don't know where you live, and if this is an option for you.

Honored Contributor

Do you live in an area where there is a community of Orthodox Jews?? Women who follow this lifestyle wear wigs out in public for religious reasons. They have wig specialty shops in these communities, and they are of the best quality, and will offer you personal service.

On the other hand, my friend who had chemo a few years ago went into one of those neighborhood beauty supply stores, got a wig for about $35 and it was just darling, looked great.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you really want to play with one now, I did think of 2 that might fit the bill and not break the bank.

Vogue wigs has Forever Young brand "Roll with It" for just under 50.00.  Lot's of actual user photos on their site so you can see how it looks on real people, not necessarly someone who was styled professionally for a catalog. The hair is a bit shiny, but you can find tips aout taking down the shine with powder or dry shampoo spray.

The other is under 140.00 on HSN, Iman "Coutour Curly" wig. This is a higher quality wig on a lace base and is stylable with heating tools on low heat.  However, her colors have a black base and especially the rooted shades look like someone badly in need of a root touch up (the root section is black).  The mesh is also kind of dark, but you can use spray foundation or regular foundation to lighten the part.  You can find lot's of Youtube videos of people wearing different wigs and reviewing them, even these two.

If you get one, might want to buy a wide stretchy headband or thin scarf to wear with it the first few times to make it feel extra secure.  You'll probably also need a comfy grip band, glue or tape, but first things first. HTH

Valued Contributor

I also wear wigs, I recommend that you go on YouTube and search under Xx women wearing wigs. You will get a lot of videos and learn a lot about different brands of hair. Another thing I wear is turbans place go to wrapunzel dot com, they have helped me greatly. Jewish women also wear turbans, well they call it something else. I have learned so much and I wear turbans at least one day a week to work in addition to the wigs.

Respected Contributor

Definitely the OP should visit a GOOD wig shop. 

They will have had experience with women who have had chemo, because the wig is going on scalp, not on more hair, which feels DIFFERENT. 

Some women report that it's just too hot or it's itchy (depends on the wig) so they end up with a turban-style head covering. Other women find a wig they love. A friend of mine with melanoma always wore a dark auburn wig after she was getting chronic chemo and she looked wonderful--she was a seamstress and born in Paris and never looked anything but chic when she went out.  But she didn't mention if it felt good or not. 

Honored Contributor

There are some VERY cute Forever Young wigs for $29, so a trial wouldn't have to be a budget breaker.
A dear friend of mi e will be finishing chemo in October, and she has bought $300 wigs and $60 wigs with varying results. It is a VERY individual thing.
OP if you haven't run across "Look Good, Feel Better", she was not too interested when she started treatment, but is now quite enthused about the services offered there.
Sincere hopes to all of you for the best possible outcome !
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jayro wrote:

I'm far enough along in my chemo that about 2 more handfuls of hair and I'll be ready to shave my head.

I'm ready to invest in a quality wig and don't have a price limit.

I want to look like me.  My natural hair is light/medium brown and about chin to shoulder length.  It's naturally loose curls that are bushy, fluffy, and stand away from my head - really full.

I've searched many wig sites, and can find the right color and approx. length, but none have the curl and fullness of my hair.  Is that something you have to do yourself?  Will I have to learn how to style a wig?

Also, what is the most natural looking type?  Human hair or another type fiber?  What type of cap?  Lace front or other?

If you've been watching Poldark on PBS in the last month, I have Demelza type hair in light/med brown.  I clip it up in the back a lot like she does.  Can you do that with wigs, or does the fake cap show?

Also, if it matters, I know many wigs are geared for African American women who add or weave in hair, and I am caucasion.  I need a total wig that covers my whole head, not extensions.

Any wisdom, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated.

Jayro---first---how are doing with the chemo? Hope it isn't too brutal but then chemo is chemo--I went thru it 2 1/2 years ago. best of luck to you!!

I lost my hair EXACTLY when my onc dr told me I would. amazing---anyway, I got 2 wigs from the cancer resource center at the hospital I went to and then bought a 3rd one thru insurance. All were not human hair but all of them were almost the same color as my hair was but in my dream styles. I loved them all and wore them all the time. I wore a skull cap which made it way more comfortable. I would visit a few of your local wig shops and try them on. They usually carry synthetic as well as human hair and that way you can see right away how you will look. The person that owned the shop I went thru would even cut and style it for me if needed. I didn't look at the human hair wigs; the synthetic hair now days looks pretty real. I did this pre surgery and chemo with a couple friends. Was fun. I tried ordering online and it's just not the same. Remember that once you buy and take a wig home from a wig shop, you can't return it. I did wear mostly hats and scarves during my five months of chemo, but going out I put on my wig. I felt great.

good luck to you!!!!!There is a cancer survivors board here and many of our girls are going thru what you are so stop by.

Super Contributor

I have fought you battle. I know how you feel but you are not alone. Ibought my first wig cost over $300 it is by Eva Gabor. I have red hair but not common red. This wig color Ginger mist matched my hair almost perfect. Then I purchased a second one for half the price that has a natural looking mess in the front that looks like skin ..Same brand but liked this style better. My insurance did not pay anything for my wigs.The wigs I got look real. Purchased the shampoo and hairspray but rarely used never shampoo.People that saw me said my hair looked real that knew I had lost it.

I would suggest go to a place that has wigs try them on and find a style you like write down the info. Go and do a search for the one you like if it is Gabor go to the site or do ebay.Rachel Welch has nice looking wigs too. I did not go to the center that offers free wigs. I just figured they would not have a color close to mine so I did not bother. Sometimes they have same wig for less money. I looked after the fact. I could of saved over $100 if I had done this with the first wig.But I get impatient. 

I wore scarfs first then I got hats with sequins got lots of compliments. I too had long hair but now it is short. Like it better and I get more compliments.

Losing your hair is not easy f. But after you battle cancer it becomes less of an issue.

Good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a wig website called.....  Wigs by Patti's Pearls.  She has videos on you tube also and is very knowledgeable.  She herself had cancer.  She also will customize a wig for you for an added $20.00 (I think).

I started  wearing wigs probably about 20 yrs. ago (not due to cancer).  I also sold wigs for several years.  My advice to you would be to start out with a knowledgeable wig shop and get your first wig there. Watch wig videos (youtube) to get an idea of style.  Once you know the style you like, you can save a lot of money by buying that style online.  Wait for the sales.  They often have 30% off deals.  My top three favorite websites are Name Brand Wigs, Wigs.com (the wig experts), and Wigs by Patti's Pearls.  There are many good video's on you tube by Godiva Secret Wigs to teach you how to work with a wig (they white label so I don't buy from them)...too expensive for the exact same thing you can get at the other places I mentioned.  You can learn a lot about style and color from them.  Name Brand Wig's has the best prices but no video's.  They have a very good standing with the BBB.  It's really trial and error till you get the right wig. Most wigs I buy have to be thinned out a little.  You can take them to your hairdresser and get a haircut so it can be styled to your liking.  To me, the tweaking of a wig by a person who knows what they are doing is key to not looking wiggy.