Honored Contributor

Re: Wig purchase before a new hairdo??

Thanks, everyone!  I hope I replied to everyone - if I didn't, forgive, it was not intentional!

I am going to look further to see if I can find a place that sells wigs.  I do think this would be the best for me.  I'm not very adventuresome when it comes to hair!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1    I agree with what @depglass said.  Have a couple of inches cut during the first visit to see if you like it.  You can then keep shortening it at intervals.  Make sure you are quite clear with the beautician as to how much to shorten.  In my experience a lot of them want to do what THEY want to do, not what you ask them to do.

What @Shanus and others have said about wigs is good too so you can see if you might be happy or unhappy with a short style. 

I was forced to have short hair all the time until I went away to college.  I hated short hair on me, and still do.  My hair is shoulder length.  I do get it trimmed.  I have baby fine hair and it takes so Loooong to grow back.

One tip is have your hair cut when the moon is on its way to growing to the full moon stage.  Your hair will grow back faster than if cut during a waning moon in case you don't like the haircut.  This is an "old wives" tale but its true for me.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1    I agree with what @depglass said.  Have a couple of inches cut during the first visit to see if you like it.  You can then keep shortening it at intervals.  Make sure you are quite clear with the beautician as to how much to shorten.  In my experience a lot of them want to do what THEY want to do, not what you ask them to do.

What @Shanus and others have said about wigs is good too so you can see if you might be happy or unhappy with a short style. 

I was forced to have short hair all the time until I went away to college.  I hated short hair on me, and still do.  My hair is shoulder length.  I do get it trimmed.  I have baby fine hair and it takes so Loooong to grow back.

One tip is have your hair cut when the moon is on its way to growing to the full moon stage.  Your hair will grow back faster than if cut during a waning moon in case you don't like the haircut.  This is an "old wives" tale but its true for me.

@aroc3435 

Yes, agree! I just got it trimmed, but it was a maintanence trim only.  I keep it trimmed regularly to keep it in pretty good shape.  I think I will do just what you said!

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I did it! I have long blonde hair and now that I am in my 60's, I wondered how i would look with short hair AND how i would look as more of a redhead- Well, I am not ABOUT to actualy cut all my hair off unless I was certain, so I bought a Toni Bratton wig - I think it was on HSN- I looked totally different to no ones suprise and the verdict was to keep my real hair! Everyone tought I looked "creepy" with short red hair! Oh well, short hair IS a lot of work...

Redhead 1.jpgchristmas party  me.jpg

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  That's exactly what I did. I saw a wig on the Q and loved it. I thought, that's just how I want my hair. So I bought the wig to see how I'd look. It looked great. And the color I picked at random, I loved that, too. My plan was to wear it to my salon to show my hairdresser. She said she thought I could wear the cut, so she did it, altho she did it a tad longer in case I didn't like it. So I loved the cut she did and get this. I had planned to then send back the wig. So guess what. I love it so much I can't let it go. Now I've got the wig AND the haircut. The wig is from the Hairdo collection.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I did it! I have long blonde hair and now that I am in my 60's, I wondered how i would look with short hair AND how i would look as more of a redhead- Well, I am not ABOUT to actualy cut all my hair off unless I was certain, so I bought a Toni Bratton wig - I think it was on HSN- I looked totally different to no ones suprise and the verdict was to keep my real hair! Everyone tought I looked "creepy" with short red hair! Oh well, short hair IS a lot of work...

Redhead 1.jpgchristmas party  me.jpg

@Mothertrucker 

Oh, thank you for posting your pictures!  You are so beautiful!  I think you look really cute in the wig, also!  But your blonde hair is gorgeous!  But now you know what you look like in short hair without having to cut your hair!   

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  That's exactly what I did. I saw a wig on the Q and loved it. I thought, that's just how I want my hair. So I bought the wig to see how I'd look. It looked great. And the color I picked at random, I loved that, too. My plan was to wear it to my salon to show my hairdresser. She said she thought I could wear the cut, so she did it, altho she did it a tad longer in case I didn't like it. So I loved the cut she did and get this. I had planned to then send back the wig. So guess what. I love it so much I can't let it go. Now I've got the wig AND the haircut. The wig is from the Hairdo collection.

@Judaline 

That's awesome!!!!  Thanks so much!! 

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker  Your blonde hair is gorgeous, but I disagree with you about the wig.  I think you look fabulous with that color and style.