Honored Contributor

My  hair is So fine and thin and have seen some really pretty wigs.

But wondering if wearing a wig makes your hair fall out?

Or if it wont if you wear it just now and then? Thank you!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Hi @CherryHugs.  Although I'm not a doctor, I don't believe that wig wearing normally affects falling out or thinning of hair. If hair is already slowly thinning, I don't think wig wearing affects that one way or the other.   As long as the scalp is being kept healthy and clean, I would think all OK.  But you can always consult your doctor or a dermatologist.

There are some who have extremely sensitive skin who have had difficulty.  But most modern, medical-grade wigs are soft, light, and quite easy to wear.

How exciting that you've seen some styles you like!

Trusted Contributor

It will depend how long you wear it per day. My oldest daughter is an Orthodox Jew and has been wearing a wig for over 20 years. They are made of real human hair,  her hair meanwhile has not really seen light, she used to have gorgeous hair, and it’s dull now. It was always thick, so I am not sure about that. 

Honored Contributor

Today’s modern wigs will not thin your hair. They are made to breath and there is plenty of webbing on them that you can even put your fingers through them while wearing and touch your scalp. Great if you have an itch!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Today’s modern wigs will not thin your hair. They are made to breath and there is plenty of webbing on them that you can even put your fingers through them while wearing and touch your scalp. Great if you have an itch!

Absolutely correct. Keep wig clean as well as scalp- should be fine