Esteemed Contributor

Why you should take foundation reviews with a grain of salt

[ Edited ]

We know products work differently on everyone. But Do you ever read foundation reviews and wander why it got such a bad review? I was thinking of this tonight while reading some reviews at ulta. When woman say the medium is to dark. Do they really know their skin tone. Or ones where they talk about a foundation being flaky and dry. You know it's not because you have used it and have dry skin. Do you wander if maybe that person doesn't take care of their skin and maybe it's just in bad shape? Or maybe the person is just bad at applying makeup so they didn't apply it well. When I see reviews that are the total opposite of my experience sometimes I wonder. I know everyone is different but sometimes reviews just make me go hmm.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why you should take foundation reviews with a grain of salt

Some people do not know how to write a review either. Whenever I write a review, I ask myself, if I was interested in buying this item, what would I want to know about it? I write my reviews with that in mind.

Clothing -- does it fit well-- nevermind the color, I want to know how it fits, -- maybe give a few body measurements or my height so people know where the garment falls on me.

So with this in mind, if I was reporting about foundation I would mention things like fragrance -- yes or no? ease of application and how it feels on me; does it last all day? I would also mention if it's a liquid if it separates in the bottle, do I need to shake bottle before use? 

Anyway, @ccassaday you bring up valid points.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I read reviews here and on other websites, and sometimes I wonder if is a waste of time. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was watching a review on YouTube from somebody who isn't really a known youtuber. She kept saying the new IT foundation in medium had pink undertones. Lol. I mean anybody with s brain can see they are either neutrally or have some yellow. I am like where did she get it looked pink on her skin. Then half of them I watched didn't even apply it right. They did it like they didn't know how to apply makeup.

Esteemed Contributor

I always assume that everyone's complexion, skin chemistry, is different from everyone else.  Different from me, for sure.  When I recommend skin products here or in reviews, I always state what works for me may not work for you.    And vice versa.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor

I am one of those people who didn't know why all my makeup was flaking and not smooth.  My skin has changed alot as I have aged...68 yrs.  I do think older gals skin responds differently than younger women...and the reviews generally do not reflect that.  I found that I needed to exfoliate my skin to get it smoother...and that made all the difference in how my makeup went on.  I also have to moisturize much more than when I was younger.  And, as to skin treatments...they work but I have to wait a longer time now that I am older.

Honored Contributor

I don't place too much faith in most reviews - especially for any skincare or makeup products.  If it's something I think I might like I try it and come to my own conclusions.  I would have missed out on many of my must have really works for me products due to poor reviews.  Often the ones that post reviews are those that usually are not happy with anything.  I know that I usually don't take the time to post reviews unless I am really finding it extra great but will take the time to post a negative review of something that I find really bad.

Contributor

Also, it would be nice if the reviews mentioned age.  I know we do not like to talk about that but it makes a big difference in how the product works...for me, anyway.  So, I rely on people posting their age and I like to know the main ingredients in a skin treatment product to determine if it might help my skin.

Respected Contributor

Cassaday, you have brought up some excellent points!  I have considered the same issues, and in the end, all I can say is try it, and know the return policy and the length of time you have to return it.

I have loved products that others dissed-and if I am forking out big bucks, as I did on the NuFace, I go directly to the site.

Thankfully, I have never had to return cosmetics  to the Q: I think the buyers and the sellers do a great job of "color forgiving" and the "if you're not sure, go with" issues.

As big of a makeup addict as I am, I will do anything to stay away from cosmetic counters!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Another mention that should be made is the type of skin a person has. Dry skin (which is what I have) have different needs than an oily person. Finding a good foundation IMO has been like trying on a swimsuit. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. I remember reading a long time ago that you should put your money in a good foundation. You can get away spending less on blush, powder, etc. The base of your face is the foundation and that can make or break a beautiful, flawless look.