Honored Contributor

Re: Why you should take foundation reviews with a grain of salt

I like to see how it covers and the finish.  I wouldn't say I put mine on "properly" but it is what it is.  Now that I'm getting older I'm having issues with how it settles which I can't see myself unless I look in a magnifying mirror.  With age also comes failing eyesight.  I really don't want much coverage at all and my daily go-to if I wear anything at all is BB cream.  However, it was funny, I could not wear either Tarte or IT's BB creams by themselves.  They both looked awful on my skin the way they settled and looked cakey.  But if I combine them they give me the most wonderful no-makeup skin.  That, eyebrows, and a very light application of blush and I'm good to go.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I was watching a review on YouTube from somebody who isn't really a known youtuber. She kept saying the new IT foundation in medium had pink undertones. Lol. I mean anybody with s brain can see they are either neutrally or have some yellow. I am like where did she get it looked pink on her skin. Then half of them I watched didn't even apply it right. They did it like they didn't know how to apply makeup.

@ccassaday

What's the difference between a "known" youtuber .... and an "unknown" youtuber?    

Known by WHO?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

I was watching a review on YouTube from somebody who isn't really a known youtuber. She kept saying the new IT foundation in medium had pink undertones. Lol. I mean anybody with s brain can see they are either neutrally or have some yellow. I am like where did she get it looked pink on her skin. Then half of them I watched didn't even apply it right. They did it like they didn't know how to apply makeup.

@ccassaday

What's the difference between a "known" youtuber .... and an "unknown" youtuber?    

Known by WHO?

It's someone who doesn't have that many subscribers. Sometimes they might just be starting out. Usually the quality of their videos is pretty bad.

Honored Contributor

At times reading the reviews on products here on QVC is just hysterical. Some of the time they are reviewing a product they never even purchased. They say some of the stupidest things I've ever read. I've even seen where they are reviewing a totally different product - like a blouse review done on a screen for a purse.

Honored Contributor

I take ALL reviews with a grain of sale. A huge, hunkin' grain of salt. 

Contributor

Agreed. However, I like some reviews on Sephora's website; often you can select reviews by age and skin type, which can be helpful. You still need to ask yourself if these people seem knowledgeable or not, but it's an improvement to some reviews you find elsewhere!

Honored Contributor

I read a review recently where the reviewer was complaining about how the product provided no coverage and wasn't a good foundation. The product she was reviewing wasn't a foundation at all, it was either a moisturizer or a primer - I can't remember which now. So yeah, no coverage and not being a good foundation wasn't a flaw with the product, it was never meant to be either of those things.

But I take all reviews with anywhere from several grains to a pound of salt.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, finding a truly reliable review of a foundation can sometimes be very hard to come by, here at the Q and elsewhere.  And if its not the review itself, stupid answers to the questions under some foundation products are even more frustrating. 

Example:  I was interested in the new C Buckle foundation and under the Q&A section there is a question 'Is the medium a dark medium?' and not 1, but 2 of the answers were

'the tan is darker' - unbelieveable!!!  Can we possibly get any more moronic in a reply?  Useless, I tell ya!