Honored Contributor

Re: Why were we taught the wrong thing about oils?

For some reason argan oil makes my skin dry. I believe what is happening is that the argan oil causes the oil glands in my skin to shut down because the oil glands 'think' they have done their job and then they stop working when the argan oil is present. That totally stinks...oil glands will not be getting a pay raise this year because they stopped working...boo.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Funny, I'm a member of a curly hair group and they seem to be going the opposite direction on oils claiming they build up on hair much like silicones do.  I'm not buying it though.  I have never had a problem with what I use building up.  And even the products sold by the owner of the group has oils in them.  Some seem to think that because the oils are mixed with the other ingredients that somehow they are absorbed by the hair vs sitting on the hair and building up.  I'm not buying that either.  Unless an emulsifier is actually making the oil molecule smaller, it's not going to be absorbed any better than if it's applied alone.  

Honored Contributor

I honestly do not remember ever hearing about facial oils when growing up.  Cooking oils yes, but never facial oils.   Hydration is the key to healthy skin.  It aids in preventing early aging especially when we are talking about wrinkles.  So whether you receive your hydration from a good facial oil or moisturizer with excellent ingredients you are fighting half the battle.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

hah lol! Love it!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  In the event you are struggling with psoriasis,I have a friend who had been battling that one.she doesn’t want to take medication due to all of the side effects.She has gone on an anti inflammatory diet very strictly,practices yoga, and tries to avoid all stress.She has noticed some improvement after three months.Her skin is looking less bumpy and she hasn’t had any new sores pop up.She likes to get sun on the areas when possible too.She noticed this hit her at the time she started menopause and is hoping it will stop when she is post menopausal.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

Thank you!

Having found it necessary to look into all of the options for my skin problem, the general advice concurs with your suggestions of what your friend is doing.

It seems my dermatologist, and derms in general, do not always have a fix for dermatological problems!

For my situation (Lichen Planus [face] And Lichen Planopilarus [scalp]) people suggest coconut oil as a universal topical. This works pretty well for me...at least it keeps the unaffected skin  healthier and thus seems to “ward off” its spread.

Frustrating because my onset was insidious... starting at approx. 60 and then becoming more obvious and troublesome by age 65.

I hope your friend has luck keeping hers calmed down...

muah!🥰

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 my friend is a personal trainer and has so many people in the gym treat her rudely because they think she is contagious and should not be there.She can’t keep it covered all of the time as she thinks it needs air to heal...I feel bad for her when it is obvious people avoid her.She is one of the best trainers out there too.

I hope that you find a workable solution for your skin too.Do you think it could be environmental?We are exposed to so much these days....maybe you need a detox.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

yes, I do think it is environmental!

Honored Contributor

Maybe it's an age thing because I was never told and never read that ALL oils are bad for anyone.  I never heard that and I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I remember learning that oils were, in general, bad for you.

They supposedly “broke out your skin” “clogged your arteries” “caused your cholesterol to rise”

Why did we buy into this fallacy?

Some oils are actually drying!

What is the truth and do we know the truth even now?

@LTT1 

It’s not wrong.

Topically, some oils can be drying; some oils can be too oily.

Just depends on your type of skin.

Internally, all oils are bad...really bad.

They will clog your arteries & cause your cholesterol to rise.

No ifs and or buts.