Respected Contributor

Re: Why were we taught the wrong thing about oils?

I did have oily skin when I was younger, and too harsh of cleansers definitely put my skin in overdrive and got more oily. I started using Shiseido in my twenties, I did promotional work for many cosmetic lines, and found the hydrating line (Benefiance) actually balanced my oily skin..go figure. As for oils on my face, personally, I dont see any benefit whatsoever...no hydration, zero plumping, just a greasy face. My skin is getting more on the dry/normal side now. So no oils for face...just a good rich cream. I do occasionally use body oils..I'm using Josie's Argan on my chest, followed by a cream. Still searching.
I love olive oil for my cooking...I think its very healthy...I have alot of the good cholesterol, HDL.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin @sidsmom @chrystaltree @dex @Katcat1 

This article explains it beautifully.

it is called “The Lipid Hypothesis”

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/the-skinny-on-fats/

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

The Weston Price Foundation is notorious for spreading

mis-information. 

I’m sure Dr. Price is spinning in his grave knowing the low-carb

community is using his name to spread this mis-information. 

When you have articles titled like,

Soy Infant Formula: Birth Control Pills for Babies”,

that really says it all. Tap out.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I remember learning that oils were, in general, bad for you.

They supposedly “broke out your skin” “clogged your arteries” “caused your cholesterol to rise”

Why did we buy into this fallacy?

Some oils are actually drying!

What is the truth and do we know the truth even now?

Argan Oil (JM) is a healthy, pure oil and it is good for your skin (among others)

@LTT1   When I was in high school I was taught the world was flat.  Ideas change daily, food that was the miracle food yesterday will kill you today according to the "news."

Read, learn, evaluate and make up your own mind about what theory or belief you will follow.  Understand that  others will do the same, and don't argue about it.

Honored Contributor

When you use a moisturizing cream or lotion you are applying oil to your face too. They are almost all oil in water emulsions. The only ones that don't have oil have silicone instead, which is typically (and ironically IMO) recommended for oily skin types.

Moisturizers have always had some form of oil in them. That is the point of them.

It's fine to just apply carrier oil directly to your face if you want to. It's much nicer to use a cream or lotion though. You get a refined finish and a cream is designed to penetrate and stay on better. Just wanted to make the point that putting oil drops on your face is not the only way to apply oil to your face.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

When it comes to putting straight oil on my face, I have come to the conclusion that my skin just does not do well with it. Most oils I have used just stay on the surface and feel oily and yucky...and I don't even use that much of it. Maybe it's my skin but I have stopped using straight oils. I like creams, lotions and serums with oils in them but not straight oil.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When it comes to putting straight oil on my face, I have come to the conclusion that my skin just does not do well with it. Most oils I have used just stay on the surface and feel oily and yucky...and I don't even use that much of it. Maybe it's my skin but I have stopped using straight oils. I like creams, lotions and serums with oils in them but not straight oil.

@SilleeMee, I use straight oils in my hair and on my body.  In winter, I'll apply on damp skin and then add a lotion or body butter on top.  I don't feel the need to in summer, but I live in a humid area of the country.  I also don't feel the need so much for oils in my hair in the summer, but definitely need them in winter.  I would not hesitate to use an oil on my face in the evening in winter either, but so far have been satisfied with what I am already using.  I do sometimes put the Tweaked treatment on my face before going to bed.  Dennis claims his mother used it on her face and she appears much younger than she actually is, so I figured why not.  I do use a camellia oil cleanser similar to Tatcha's in the evening.