Honored Contributor

Re: Why should we tip at hair salons?

@songbird wrote:

My stylist is the owner of the shop.  I never tip him.

In most places now the owner is merely the landlord with the stylists renting "booth" space from him/ her.  They don't supervise the stylists, therefore that old tradition of not tipping the owner is passe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Gosh, what all do you have done for $210?  I thought I was paying a lot for shampoo, cut & style/dry at $80.  I go to the shop owner & do not tip her.

Not tipping the owner is a no no. I did not tip the owner and after several visits was asked by her if I wanted to leave a tip. 

What rudeness to ask that. 

Respected Contributor

Tipping in general use to be 15% for good service. Today, that is a poor tip, 20% is for good service....inflation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why should it be the consumer's responsibility to compensate for low wages or high work expenses?  Service jobs are generally low paying, and anyone who enters into such work should know full well what to expect beforehand. To set out a tip jar is tantamount to panhandling.  To inquire if  the client wants to include a tip in payment is outrageously crass.

The onus for giving good service is on the service provider. After all, it is the job description, "service."  For the customer to be expected to pay for such "extras" as punctuality, conversation or the lack thereof, etc., is downright ludicrous.   As patron of a service oriented business I have the right to expect punctuality (as much as it is expected of me, the client), courtesy and, of course, the good performance of the service for which I am paying.  I have not hired the employee, I have employed the business.

Salary is the responsibility of the business owner, and any grievance about one should be solely between the employee and employer.  It is additionally none of my business (pun not intended) what my stylist or restaurant server paid for their training, uniforms, union dues, health care, mortgage or childcare  so I do not accept obligation to contribute to, or compensate for, any of it.

Typo found.  Edited to correct.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

You've nailed it with, "my problem is they expect it."

Most industries do not allow employees to receive gifts at Christmas from a customer, let alone tips because it implies special service.   On the other hand, the same companies hire  lobbyists to do the tipping(gifting) state/local government, then it's no longer implied, it's a given.  Anyways, just goes to prove my point:  tipping = special service.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG

That's how I feel, but haven't managed to be strong enough to leave a salon.....it just %issesWoman Mad me off - at myself.  That's why I only go to salons where I'm desparate:  so, in the end, by getting their "tip" the're actually losing 'cause I go infrequently.

Respected Contributor

guess it depends where you live,around here 16 for a cut,35 for color, 12 for eyebrow wax....

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

guess it depends where you live,around here 16 for a cut,35 for color, 12 for eyebrow wax....

@fourpaws56

Back To The Future --- where's my Deloreon!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I don't understand the need for this.

I just spent $210 for getting my hair done.  My stylist tells me she gets half of whatever I pay. 

I don't mind what anyone makes, but other than tradition, why should we tip?  We are paying their set prices for the service.  Most people do NOT make tips in their jobs.  They do their job, they get paid for it.

That would be (by most calculations) another $30 for the service already paid $210 for.

Where is the rule we should tip for this?

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  First of all, even though your stylist is in a service industry, he/she is a professional.  No, he or she may not be a doctor or lawyer, but they have had to pay a lot of money to get their education and pass the state board in order to work.  There are also continuing education classes they attend which cost money.  Add to that, they have to pay for their own supplies and tools. plus tool upkeep, and good, professional tools aren't cheap.  So, your stylist made $105 from your service.  That's gross income to her, not all spendable cash.  Depending on her situation, she need to set aside a portion of that to pay her federal and state income tax.  Let's just say that's 25% ($25.26).  So your stylist cleared $79.74 but don't forget about deducting the cost of the supplies, setting money aside for replacement tools, savings for classes, etc, besides his or her regular living expenses.

Your stylist is lucky that she gets half of the service cost.  There are many salons that do a 60/40 and the shop owner gets the 60%.  Other salons that charge booth rent can be a couple of hundred bucks a week.  The stylist has to pay the shop owner the set rent whether she's had a good week or not, plus she has the same kinds of bills everyone else has - home rent, car payment, insurance, groceries, utilities, gasoline, food, clothing, etc.  Oftentimes a salon service is the first thing someone will put off if they have other more pressing bills, but the stylist still has her regular bills nonetheless.  Therefore, he/she depends on tips as part of their income.

Continuing education, supplies, paying for training, passing state board, etc., all apply to doctors and lawyers.  It also sounded like you were describing teachers.  If we aren't tipping teachers, why are we tipping stylists?

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I don't understand the need for this.

I just spent $210 for getting my hair done.  My stylist tells me she gets half of whatever I pay. 

I don't mind what anyone makes, but other than tradition, why should we tip?  We are paying their set prices for the service.  Most people do NOT make tips in their jobs.  They do their job, they get paid for it.

That would be (by most calculations) another $30 for the service already paid $210 for.

Where is the rule we should tip for this?

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  First of all, even though your stylist is in a service industry, he/she is a professional.  No, he or she may not be a doctor or lawyer, but they have had to pay a lot of money to get their education and pass the state board in order to work.  There are also continuing education classes they attend which cost money.  Add to that, they have to pay for their own supplies and tools. plus tool upkeep, and good, professional tools aren't cheap.  So, your stylist made $105 from your service.  That's gross income to her, not all spendable cash.  Depending on her situation, she need to set aside a portion of that to pay her federal and state income tax.  Let's just say that's 25% ($25.26).  So your stylist cleared $79.74 but don't forget about deducting the cost of the supplies, setting money aside for replacement tools, savings for classes, etc, besides his or her regular living expenses.

Your stylist is lucky that she gets half of the service cost.  There are many salons that do a 60/40 and the shop owner gets the 60%.  Other salons that charge booth rent can be a couple of hundred bucks a week.  The stylist has to pay the shop owner the set rent whether she's had a good week or not, plus she has the same kinds of bills everyone else has - home rent, car payment, insurance, groceries, utilities, gasoline, food, clothing, etc.  Oftentimes a salon service is the first thing someone will put off if they have other more pressing bills, but the stylist still has her regular bills nonetheless.  Therefore, he/she depends on tips as part of their income.

Continuing education, supplies, paying for training, passing state board, etc., all apply to doctors and lawyers.  It also sounded like you were describing teachers.  If we aren't tipping teachers, why are we tipping stylists?

@wildcat fan  I don't make the rules, it's the way the industry has been set up. My daughter is a stylist so I know what I'm talking about.  

Let's say we take the "tip" out of the equation and all stylists upped their service fees by 20%.  Using the OP's experience as an example.  Her $210 service now costs $252.  You don't think people would pitch a fit over that kind of an increase?  As it now, a tip is still voluntary, even though the stylist is hoping for one and counts on it as part of her income.