Honored Contributor

Re: Why should we tip at hair salons?

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I don't think anyone here is stating that a stylist shouldn't be "paid for the job."  I pay my stylist for the job she does.  I pay her more than the average stylist in this area charges for the same job.  However, I am under the impression she is capable of supporting herself without the tips and she's not a "low wage earner."

Again, teachers in my state do not have a guaranteed salary or guarantee of having a job the following year.   They do not have "regular hours" or three months off in the summer.  If it were broken down into an hourly rate, I have no doubt my stylist makes more money by the hour than I would if I were paid by the hour.

Wow. Does your state not allow teachers to have a union? If they do allow it, your teachers should vote in a new union board. I've never heard of teachers so lacking in what is taken for granted elsewhere.

I have never in my life had a guaranteed salary or guaranteed job.  Nor have I had a rise in the last 5 or 6 (I've lost count and hope of that) years.  I have never had regular hours either, because I am on salary.  My husband has been on call for 30 years, so no regular hours there or extra pay or time off for it either.  

Do you all think it's possible I haven't had a "raise" because I can't even spell it?  Woman Surprised  I had to laugh at myself over that, so I hope some of you did too!  LOL!!!  OH MY!  Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why should we tip at hair salons?

@Sooner, yes, I noticed and it made me chuckle. (Knew what you meant.) Woman Wink

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop