Contributor

Why is philosophy hand soap so expensive?

I just watched the philosophy show from early this morning on my DVR. They had an AG or PG hand soap duo for $28. I have also seen a fresh cream hand soap hand creme duo for around this price too. Has anyone tried these and if so what is the difference between these hands soaps and the 3 in 1s? I am having a hard time understanding why these are so expensive. The supersize novelty 3 in 1s are $27 so I don't get why the hand soap is twice as expensive for half as much product.
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is philosophy hand soap so expensive?

I don't have the answer to your question. I have a Soft Soap container I got years ago from the grocery store and just refill it with Philosophy shower gels for my handsoap. I have never bought hand soap specifically. Works fine for me.

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2014 Dell said:

I don't have the answer to your question. I have a Soft Soap container I got years ago from the grocery store and just refill it with Philosophy shower gels for my handsoap. I have never bought hand soap specifically. Works fine for me.

This is the only way I've been able to make a dent in my collection of shower gels: I use them as hand soap. I'm finishing up a 16-ouncer of i love candy corn at the kitchen sink...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

You may be paying for the name. Check ingredients of Phil. against the cheapos else where.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I can't see any excuse at all for the high price of these. I think Bungo is right - you're paying for the name and I won't pay that much for hand soap. Just plain crazy.

Honored Contributor

On 4/27/2014 just bee said:
On 4/26/2014 Dell said:

This is the only way I've been able to make a dent in my collection of shower gels: I use them as hand soap. I'm finishing up a 16-ouncer of i love candy corn at the kitchen sink...

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I've been trying to get through all the bottles I have and now I know how to do it.

Trusted Contributor

Bath & body works: foamer! They also have a Merlot scented.
Respected Contributor

abh, I think they're more expensive because the hand soap (and hand lotion) from the caddy sets are a different formula from the 3 in 1s (and lotions), and are specifically made for hand care. The formulas honestly do feel different - my hands feel great, after using the hand wash (and lotion). I know I've seen a lot of other Brand hand care caddy sets out there, and they all seem to be priced at around $25-$30. I'm sure there are less expensive sets that work well, too, but $25-$30 does seem to be average for many sets out there.

If you can swing it, I think you might like them. I use the PG set, but have wanted to try the FC set.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I agree they are expensive for what you get. Saying that though, they are my favorite and don't dry my hands out. In the kitchen I have bath and body works sea island cotton in a foam and my hands get really dried out. I usually use that brand with no issues.