Super Contributor

Re: Why is it that people get so passionate about their views on things like .....

Just like the weather, this lament comes around every day.

I was happy to see the OP acknowledged she does the very thing she is complaining about.

Perhaps stopping that behavior yourself might lessen the negative feedback.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why is it that people get so passionate about their views on things like .....

On 5/9/2014 Trix said:

All I have to add is some posts I see here explains why bullying and meanness is a serious problem in the cyber world of American children. The behavior of children often mimics those who are raising them.

Yep. And, I'm always the first one to ask where the parents are. And, I certainly have strong opinions on what's being taught to young people these days. Ugh - trying to stay positive in a negative world. Maybe this is why so many are so angry these days. It spills over into very innocent conversations. I feel just as bad about it as the next person, but I stupidly get drawn into it too.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/9/2014 scatcat said: You mean whether right? It is raining pretty hard here...
Amazing, isn't it, lol
Super Contributor

On 5/9/2014 Krimpette said:

It just seems that no matter the forum, no matter the topic, things can turn into an argument of sorts in a flash. Where is all the anger coming from, I wonder.

People are just really unhappy, I think. I don't know if it the economy, or shattered dreams, or what ...

It's sad when the most benign topics turn into brawls.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

On 5/9/2014 voyager1980 said:
On 5/9/2014 Katharita said:
On 5/9/2014 scatcat said: You mean whether right? It is raining pretty hard here...

A visual aid to help prove the OP's point.

Yes, people on anonymous chat boards do seem to like to express their opinions in a big way!

No offense but if it were me using 'weather' instead of 'whether' I'd appreciate a correction. (: That way I can say 'thanks' & stop making the same mistake.For the Op's question it's human nature & the nature of the boards to express our opinions.Let it roll off your back instead of getting upset over it (:

I agree! I am sure we have all made mistakes in our haste. It's not important here, so much. However, I agree that it is helpful to be corrected, since in other situations it could prove embarrassing: in the work place, writing notes to the teacher... just to give two examples.

That said, I feel uncomfortable correcting a couple of friends who forever use "your" in place of "you're" (you're welcome). They are sensitive about being corrected, so I do so gently by using it correctly in my reply and hope they eventually take the hint.

Regular Contributor

It just seems that no matter the forum, no matter the topic, things can turn into an argument of sorts in a flash. Where is all the anger coming from, I wonder.

I've wondered that for years. Our country definitely has tipped to lightning quick tempers and fanaticism over even the most trivial issues - even ones that have nothing to do with others as mentioned by the OP.

Regular Contributor

On 5/9/2014 ennui1 said:

People are just really unhappy, I think. I don't know if it the economy, or shattered dreams, or what ...

It's sad when the most benign topics turn into brawls.

Well put.

Honored Contributor

Some people simply take trivial things too seriously. Also there's an older demographic on this board that is terribly judgmental and mired in 1982.

Super Contributor

On 5/9/2014 voyager1980 said:
On 5/9/2014 Katharita said:

A visual aid to help prove the OP's point.

Yes, people on anonymous chat boards do seem to like to express their opinions in a big way!

No offense but if it were me using 'weather' instead of 'whether' I'd appreciate a correction. (: That way I can say 'thanks' & stop making the same mistake.For the Op's question it's human nature & the nature of the boards to express our opinions.Let it roll off your back instead of getting upset over it (:

lets argue about anything..... people love to correct others... makes them feel superior.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 5/9/2014 chrystaltree said:

Some people simply take trivial things too seriously. Also there's an older demographic on this board that is terribly judgmental and mired in 1982.

1982?