Super Contributor

Why is everybody going blonde?

I think it really adds a whole new dimension to aging  and looking desperate when all these women who have been gorgeous brunettes their whole life decide to be a beach blonde at 60 ish.  I know I will get slammed for this and thats OK I expect that, but I just cant get used to seeing some of these women in this hair color because NUMBER ONE, it looks unattractive on them and their coloring and if it looked great i would be the last to say anything. I personally have colored my brown hair for too long and I am happy to see it instead of gray. Is this just part of our desperate culture to hide everthing and look like what we arent? I think it is and I am disappointed to see this because it sends such a silly silly message. Blonde hair isnt going to make you look younger and I am not naming names but if you think hard you can figure out a few women.  Gees, just buy a wig and get over it already. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why is everybody going blonde?

@Thebig I :  I colored my hair for over 30 years until at 63, I asked myself what was the point?  I concluded that for me there was no point in pretending anymore.  I had my hair cut so short that in 2 haircuts I was gray.  Now twelve years later I have healthy mid back length silver hair (I get it trimmed quarterly).  DH loves it and so do I!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know if everybody is.  We just like trying something new now and then.  I don't see a thing wrong with it.  With some it's just more drastic.  Maybe they like it.  You only have to please yourself.  Much of what you said is your idea of why women try different things.  I don't find it necessarily true of everyone.  I really don't care why one would make the changes they do in their appearance.  I'm glad we all have a choice.  I just don't label it as a message we are sending.  Seems to me you're the one doing the slamming.

Respected Contributor

I don't think they're desperate, they just want to try something different & good for them...it's fun to change things up. I'm 68 & coloring my hair using high & low lights, it's something new to me & I love it...I don't need to justify the change to anyone, it's for ME.

Super Contributor

I've never been able to get my dark brown hair blonde.  Now I have a lot of white hairs, I am using dark blonde and getting a very nice lighter color with nice highlights (Shade is really darker than the box, as always, and a light brown).

But the main reason that I am going blonder/lighter is that it blends better with the white/gray roots than brown hair color.  So I can touch up a lot less often,  White/gray roots are too stark with brown hair and blend in better with blonde hair.  JMHO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Blond is softer than black.  When one is aging, black hair or dark hair is harder and makes one appear older.  Blond is also a good color for graying. Roots are easier to camouflage.

A good transitioning color. It is easier to grow gray from blond than any other color.  I tried them all.  I even tried doing foiling of "pretend grey."  Just a champagne blond worked best for me because I have similar natural color hair and my gray leans toward that instead of a pure white.

Respected Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

I think it really adds a whole new dimension to aging  and looking desperate when all these women who have been gorgeous brunettes their whole life decide to be a beach blonde at 60 ish.  I know I will get slammed for this and thats OK I expect that, but I just cant get used to seeing some of these women in this hair color because NUMBER ONE, it looks unattractive on them and their coloring and if it looked great i would be the last to say anything. I personally have colored my brown hair for too long and I am happy to see it instead of gray. Is this just part of our desperate culture to hide everthing and look like what we arent? I think it is and I am disappointed to see this because it sends such a silly silly message. Blonde hair isnt going to make you look younger and I am not naming names but if you think hard you can figure out a few women.  Gees, just buy a wig and get over it already. 

So you think that people should make choices based on your negative opinions?  How strange..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Gee whiz............I'm HARDLY DESPERATE

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Thebig I  Maybe the reason for the blonde thing is that past a certain age, the dark coloring doesn't hold well over  white hair.  I know that's the reason I went lighter (not blonde, though) with my hair color.

Respected Contributor

One reason I think is because with the lighter hair color, the gray roots aren't as noticeable.  When your a brunette and you color your hair, those roots will start to show in about 4 weeks, and then at 6 weeks, esp. if your on TV you'll have to go get a touch up so you don't look like a skunk!!

With the blonde hair the gray more or less blends in a little better, at least for a short while.  Looks better than a skunk stripe.  Cat Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing